Coffee shop brews up a whole latte love

Have you ever wished Tuscaloosa had a cozy little coffee shop that used quality ingredients and was great for studying? You have? Well, that makes two of us.

Tired of the packed sofas at Starbucks and the trek up McFarland to Panera, I wanted to try out a new coffee shop that I kept hearing about. Chloe’s Cup is nestled downtown next to Moe’s and The Freckled Frog, and for a quick drive (or a more substantial bike ride) it is the perfect caffeine getaway.

Walking into Chloe’s, I was greeted by fresh-ground hazelnut and bold Sumatra bean aromas. So far, so good.

Now if truth be told, I’m not really a coffee person. I like the act of drinking coffee but am not particularly partial to any bitter taste.  But Chloe’s Cup has something for everyone: bold or mild beans, lattes and frappes, smoothies and teas.

And they don’t stop at beverages either. They’re serving up cakes and pies, soups and hummus. All items are seasonal and all ingredients are organic.

Almost overwhelmed by the delicious choices, I asked the lady behind the counter what was the best thing to get. Without hesitation she suggested the Amaretto latte, and since the apple-cinnamon and carrot coffee cakes right next to the register looked so darned tasty I went ahead and got a piece of each – all in the name of research, of course.

It took all the self-control I could muster not to add a cheese and bacon biscuit to the order, but I had to draw the line somewhere.

While my coffee was being fixed, I got a table and a chance to really look around the place. Lining the wall are paintings and jewelry and china sets, all done by local artists, a few of whom are even related to Chloe herself (who is in fact the granddaughter of Gale, the store’s owner).

There is a pleasant hum to the place.  A few students are studying in one corner, and an elderly man and his wife are sipping cappuccinos in the middle of the small room. I grab a corner chair and am shortly joined by my coffee and cakes.

The amaretto comes out in a china cup with elegant curves and a large plate with two slabs of cake floating atop. Feeling fancy, I delicately sip at the coffee, trying to avoid a caramel and cream-colored mustache. The coffee is heavenly. With just the right amount of sweet, the almond-flavored drink is as smooth as a dream.

I wish I could say that I was as impressed by the cakes, but, alas, they don’t live up to their looks. The apple-cinnamon cake was moist but too sweet for my liking, and the brown sugar crumb topping offered little variation in texture. The carrot cake was also moist, but for a dessert with as many strong flavors as carrot cake has, the flavors all muddled together into a pile of sugar.

While I may not get the coffee cakes again, this place is certainly worth visiting. The vibe is relaxed, the people are friendly, and the coffee is wonderful.  I know I’ll be back, and next time I’m getting the cheese and bacon biscuit.

Price: $2-$10

Hours: Monday – Saturday 7 a.m.-10 p.m. (with exceptions for away games)

Rating: 3.5 stars out of 5