We talkin’ ’bout government

There are two distinct sides of the American political environment, but their biannual brawls should not overshadow the purpose of our country’s political system.

It seeks to continually improve America – I apologize for the truthful cheesiness. It does not act as a dueling ground for two diametrically opposed competitors. That would be a sport or a game.

But, government is not a game. Not a game. Not a game. We talkin’ ‘bout government. The newest resident of Turkey, Allen Iverson, helps bring up a good point.

Now, decide if the leaders of the national Republican Party were playing a game or participating in government during the past two years, and I only use this example due to its currency. Democrats are just as guilty but much less effective.

In January of 2009, before President Obama had even given his inauguration speech, Republicans had begun mapping out how to take back control of government.  According to a recent New York Times article, one PowerPoint presentation contained a slide that stated, “The purpose of the minority [in government] is to become the majority.”

Surely they had backing from the lionized Founding Fathers. Unfortunately, Thomas Jefferson writes, “If the measures which have been pursued are approved by the majority, it is the duty of the minority to acquiesce and conform.” Strike one.

In Federalist 22, Alexander Hamilton wrote that there is a “fundamental maxim of republican government, which requires that the sense of the majority should prevail.” Strike two.

The Republicans have argued that they can speak for those who oppose President Obama and his party’s policies. However, James Madison wrote, “The man who is possessed of wealth, who lolls on his sofa, or rolls in his carriage, cannot judge of the wants or feelings of the day laborer.” Strike three.

Representatives John Boehner and Eric Cantor are not Meg Whitman or Carly Fiorina, but I can assure you that they have themselves and their party in mind over the concerns of working individuals. Their sordid motives in miring the national political scene in nauseating rhetoric for two years did not help out anyone.

They abused our system of government to improve their party’s standing. It’s comparable to an NBA player who coasts during his contract years but only exerts himself during the last one so he can cash in with another team through free agency. Basically, the Republican Party is the Erick Dampier of politics.

The parties and their leaders are not the only ones at fault. Someone had to sign Dampier, which would mean that voters would be Dallas Mavericks’ owner Mark Cuban.

Recent columns in this newspaper and other publications triumphed Republican election victories as major referendums on the policies of Democrats, as if Democrats could never lead our country effectively. These epistles play into the sport of politics instead of government.

“The Answer” is right. It’s not a game. The two sides can disagree with each other and battle it out legislatively but not for the purpose of winning and proving that the other side is wrong for the country. That is having an election mindset to government and that has caused many problems within our political environment.

This applies to this campus as well. However optimistic and idealistic it sounds, there should not be any actual or perceived eternal struggles among campus divisions. Of course, everyone cannot always agree on everything, since we all have different wants and needs.

The hopeful universal goal is for those involved to grasp the selfless purposes of government and avoid wrestling with another group for control. We cannot allow the game of politics to consume government.

Because, it’s not a game. Not a game. Not a game. We talkin’ ‘bout government.

Wesley Vaughn is a junior majoring in public relations and political science. His column runs on Wednesday.