New journal to publish student essays

The University of Alabama is home to two prominent literary magazines, Marr’s Field Journal and the Black Warrior Review, neither of which is a publication of the University’s English department. Instead, both are published through the Office of Student Media. Now, a new journal, representing the English department itself, is on the horizon.

This month, Sigma Tau Delta, the English honor society, is launching DewPoint. The new literary journal will join a crowded array of student-run publications, but its makers feel it has the potential to fill some voids.

“We are a growing campus,” said Mia Bass, a junior majoring in English and submissions coordinator for DewPoint. “Nothing against the existing journals, but there are so many voices [at the University].  We think there needs to be another platform.”

DewPoint will join Marr’s Field Journal as a journal geared toward undergraduates. While MFJ focuses on fiction and poetry, DewPoint will feature a different medium – critical essays.

Student essays, often a product of hard work and extensive research, are typically read by a teacher and sent back with praise or scorn. DewPoint offers a means for these forgotten essays to be published, becoming more than a grade. They can become published intellectual property.

“We don’t offer awards or prizes, but it’s always nice to be published,” said Wendy Wong, a senior majoring in English and assistant fiction editor of DewPoint. “People can mention [their published essays] in applications and résumés.  Plus, it’s just fun.”

These past few months, DewPoint’s staff has been charged with the task of sparking interest in the new publication.  Going right to the source, members have been busy visiting 300- and 400-level English classes, yielding mixed results.

“Some classes we visit are really pumped and have tons of questions,” Bass said. “Others are quiet – a little more apathetic.  Those are usually morning classes.”

But future submitters are not required to be Morgan Hall regulars.

“Everyone is encouraged to submit their writing,” Bass said. “We don’t want to limit the magazine.”

The first submissions are due by Dec. 1. Although there is no exclusive theme, submissions go through a selective process before being published.

Josh Clark, a senior majoring in English and fiction editor of DewPoint, said they are searching for the best undergraduate prose, poetry and essays.

Submitted writing is judged by DewPoint’s staff and is subject to discussion and criticism.

“It’s a very democratic process,” Clark said. “My role is to guide the discussion. We read [submissions] closely and try to point out the pros and cons. All authors are credited as anonymous during the big workshops.”

Students interested in joining the panel are welcome. An English major is not required, only an open mind.

“The only requirement is being passionate,” Bass said. “We want a lot of different spheres represented.”

Despite inviting students of all majors to become involved, DewPoint’s staff is happy to finally give Morgan Hall a voice.

“We are looking to showcase the English Department,” Clark said. “We want to be the trophy case. We want to be a community, not just a publication – a creature of the department in many facets.”

Students interested in submitting their writing can email it to [email protected] and are encouraged to not wait until December.

Students interested in joining DewPoint’s staff can attend Sigma Tau Delta’s meetings on Monday nights at 6 in Morgan 301.

Fast Facts

What: DewPoint, literary journal launched by English honor society

Accepting: Prose, poetry and essays

Submission Deadline: December 1

Submission E-mail: [email protected]