Students talk Oscars night

Sunday night, celebrities gathered on the red carpet as millions of people grabbed their popcorn and tuned in to see who would take home the acclaimed Oscars awards in the 89th Academy Awards ceremony.

“La La Land” took home the most awards coming in at six total golden statues from their nomination list of 14. They received awards for Best Actress (Emma Stone), Best Director (Damien Chazelle), Best Song (“City of Stars”), Best Score, Best Cinematography and Best Production Design.

“I was so excited to see ‘La La Land’ take home so many awards this year,” said Maggie Herron, a senior majoring in public health and nutrition. “I really enjoyed the movie and felt like they really deserved these wins.” 

“La La Land” was nominated for best picture and for a short moment rallied together to celebrate their win, until it was announced that there was a mistake and “Moonlight” would be taking home the award instead.

“Moonlight” also took home awards for Best Supporting Actor (Mahershala Ali), and Best Adapted Screenplay (Barry Jenkins.)

Viola Davis took home the award for Best Supporting Actress for her role in “Fences.”

“I was really excited to see Viola Davis win Best Supporting Actress for ‘Fences,’ – she is so good,” said Riley Rawson, a sophomore majoring in theatre and English.

Justin Timberlake, John Legend and Sting were among the musical acts during the show.

Rawson’s favorite was Auri’i Carvalho’s performance of Lin-Manuel Miranda’s “How Far I’ll Go” from “Moana.”

“To watch her perform that song at the age of 16 in such a large venue with a billion people watching and to see her hit every note was an amazing moment,” she said.

Jimmy Kimmel hosted the Oscars and spent the night making many political jabs at President Trump.

However, at one point during the evening he attempted to unite viewers.

“I’m not the man to unite this country, but if every person watching this show, took a minute to reach out to someone you disagree with and have a positive conversation, not as liberals or conservatives, but as Americans, we could really make America great again,” he said.

Kimmel then returned to his political digs. At one point he even tweeted President Trump with #MerylSaysHi.

“While I wish Jimmy Kimmel had not used the Oscars as a political platform, he was a funny commentator,” said Coy Graham, a senior majoring in civil engineering.

The Oscars are known for bringing out the best dressed, and the dresses are often talked about for weeks.

“The ‘Hidden Figures’ actresses looked so beautiful in their dresses that I literally stopped mid conversation to look at them,” Rawson said.

Many celebrities were also sporting blue ribbons supporting the American Civil Liberties Union.

“I always enjoy seeing all the beautiful gowns everyone wears to the Oscars,” Herron said. “Emma Stone was the best dressed in my opinion, she is so beautiful and the dress she chose further highlighted her beauty.”