UA International Justice Mission works to increase awareness of modern slavery

Slavery is an issue that played a huge part in the history of the United States of America, while it seems many are in a rush to forget this aspect of history. However,  it is also still in existence in many different developing countries across the world.

A UA student organization is striving to tackle this problem.

The University of Alabama chapter of the International Justice Mission is working to help students become more aware of the institutions of slavery that are still in place to his day.

The University’s chapter is made up of a group of students that hold awareness events to inform students of the measures of slavery and other injustices that are being placed upon people across the world and put on fundraisers to help support the National Injustice Mission. The organization was started in 2009.

The organization is made up of 40 students. Ten of them serve in officer positions.

Spencer Pennington, a sophomore majoring in math and philosophy, said the organization continues to this day, because it was easy and effective way to inform students of the different problems in different countries.

The International Justice Mission is a global organization whose mission is to protect the poor from violence in developing countries. Their global team consists of more than 750 lawyers, social workers, community activists and other professional workers that work through 17 field offices. The national organization takes on slavery, sex trafficking, sexual violence, police brutality, property grabbing and citizens right abuse. The organization was founded by Gary Haugen after he witnessed the effects of injustices committed against the people of Rwanda in 1994.

The global team achieve their goals in different ways. They rescue victims from dangerous situations, and they also work to bring justice to individuals like slave owners, those charged with rape and other criminals in court.

It has been recognized as one of 10 non-profits making a difference by U.S. News and World Report.

The UA International Justice Mission coordinates a number of events on and off campus.

“The organization is an effective way to inform students about the different problems going on in the world,” said Spencer Pennington, UA International Justice Mission President.

UA IJM’s latest event was Let Freedom Swing, where students got the opportunity to learn how to swing dance and contribute to the fight against human trafficking. All of the funds raised from the event went to support The International Justice Mission. 

Any student looking to get involved with or get more information about UA IJM should check out their website www.uaijm.wordpress.com or find them on social media. They can also be contacted via email at [email protected].

The organization holds its meeting every other Wednesday at 5 p.m.