A case for Sparks

The election is less than a week away, and it seems like everyone couldn’t care less about what is going to happen in the Alabama gubernatorial race. Both parties lost their reformation hopefuls—Bradley Byrne and Artur Davis.

That leaves Alabama with Democrat Ron Sparks and Republican Robert Bentley as the front-runners in the race for governor. It seems these candidates have skirted their way around the social issues that are playing more significant roles elsewhere in the country, like the legalization of marijuana and gay marriage. This was highlighted by the lack of social issue questions at both debates here at the Capstone and the debate on the other side of the state at Cam Newton University.

The socially dry nature of these two campaigns can partially be blamed for the apathy of voters this year. It seems like the only social issue that keeps coming up is Robert Bentley shooting off about how he is pro-life, as if it is the 1970s and that actually matters.

Education has proven to be one of the key issues in this election. Ron Sparks has introduced his plan for a lottery-funded scholarship system that would help more Alabamians get to go to college. However, Robert Bentley vehemently opposes the lottery. Bentley was recorded in August saying, “Why should the government have to pay for your child going to college? And not every child is going to college, and not every child is supposed to go to college.”

Dr. Bentley then suggested that students that can’t afford college should get jobs to help pay for expenses or take out student loans. Sparks’ lottery plan, on the other hand, would provide thousands of scholarships for Alabama students to receive college educations they could not otherwise acquire.

Bentley’s opposition to the lottery is grounded in the idea that the government should stop people from hurting themselves and the lottery is an immoral tool for self-deprecation, but it is time for Alabama to join 43 other states in adopting a lottery plan that will bring additional revenue to our great state.

For job creation, Ron Sparks supports Amendment 3, which is a bridges and roads reconstructions bill that would put up to 38,000 Alabamians back to work. Bentley says, “We don’t need more government jobs” and supports a plan that would cut taxes in order to give financial relief to small businesses in the state. Bentley has also said he would offer businesses that plan to leave the state incentives to keep them here.

On immigration, Ron Sparks has said recreating the immigration law in Arizona would be a “knee-jerk reaction.” Bentley has praised Arizona’s law and would consider creating a similar law here in Alabama. The Birmingham News reported Bentley saying on the issue, “We will pick our battles with the federal government. This may be one we will pick.”

The key difference between these two candidates is how they view the role of the government itself. Bentley believes the government is a speed bump for progress with people and businesses. Sparks, on the other hand, views the government as a medium for people to overcome their everyday problems.

Bentley, ultimately, is unprepared. Bentley has not set forth a real plan for creating jobs, has no pragmatic ideas for improving Alabama’s education system, and fails to connect with real issues. When he does, he exhibits a strong connection with ultra-right wing agendas.

Sparks, in contrast, has brought forth a real plan to bring jobs to Alabama. He wants to use a lottery to better Alabama’s education system, has a better grasp on current issues and maintains more moderate views on the issues.

Ron Sparks is the better candidate this cycle because he is better connected to the needs of Alabama and has a plan to put people back to work and improve our education systems.

Michael Patrick is a junior majoring in political science and the president of College Democrats. He is a regular columnist for The Crimson White.