Children invited to trick-or-treat on Sorority Row

The UA Junior Panhellenic Board will host the annual Sorority Row Trick-or-Treat on Tuesday, Oct. 26 from 6 to 8 p.m.

The event is open to all area children 12 and under. Children are invited to dress up in Halloween attire and trick-or-treat at sorority houses located on Magnolia and Colonial Drives. Women from the sororities will be set up outside of their houses with candy and games.

“We’re really hoping this will get the people of Tuscaloosa involved with our campus. We just want to reach out to the community and provide a fun way for kids to trick-or-treat for Halloween,” said Caroline Meyers, a freshman majoring in engineering and the president of the Junior Panhellenic Board.

The Junior Panhellenic Board is a philanthropic program composed of freshman delegates serving as understudies to the Alabama Panhellenic Association delegates and executive board members.

Meyers said people can expect elaborate costumes, tons of candy, fun games and a friendly, family-oriented environment.

She said the members of the Junior Panhellenic Board began planning for the event in September. Members of each sorority were asked to bring candy and to dress in costume for the trick-or-treating. More than 25 organizations will have games and candy set up on the lawns of the sorority houses.

“This is a really big event to take on,” said Megan Hayes, director of programming for the Alabama Panhellenic Association and overseer of the Junior Panhellenic Board. “I get to see [the members of the Junior Panhellenic Board] step into a leadership role and work for the betterment of the greek community altogether.”

Hayes said last year, the event hosted approximately 900 members of the Tuscaloosa community. This year, the Junior Panhellenic Board has posted flyers around town, given flyers to local churches and businesses and sent press releases to many newspapers and radio stations.

“It’s touching to know that the Tuscaloosa community is going to come out and not only have a good time, but support us,” Hayes said.

Hayes said she feels it is important for the greek community to give back to the people of Tuscaloosa.

“There is so much support from the community,” Hayes said. “This is just something we can do to give back to them.”