Tide’s losing streak up to four

The Alabama Crimson Tide women’s soccer team looked to end a three-game losing streak versus the 20th-ranked Georgia bulldogs. The Tide, playing its last home game, needed a win or a tie to boost their chances for the Southeastern Conference tournament. But, Alabama was unsuccessful, losing 3-0.

“I think it’s only hit me part of the way,” said senior Brooke Rogers, who is a captain and leads the team in goals with seven. “This was my last game in T-Town. But, we aren’t done yet. We still have two big games coming up, and hopefully we can make the SEC tournament.”

Georgia, a fast paced team who uses every field position player available, scored quickly, as Rebekah Perry found Alexa Newfield two minutes into the game. After Tide freshman Molly Atherton had a shot saved by Bulldog keeper Ashley Baker, who finished with three saves, Caroline Simpson booted it down field to Meghan Gibbons, who scored her first goal of the season, putting the Bulldogs up 2-0.

In a familiar site for the Tide, a penalty kick was awarded to the Bulldogs at the 49th minute. It was the fourth penalty kick Alabama has given up in four games.

Newfield took the PK, putting it in for her second goal of the game and making the score 3-0, where it would stay for the rest of the game.

The Tide falls to 8-6-2 and 3-4-2 in SEC play, but is still seventh overall in the standings. The top eight are selected for the SEC tournament, and Alabama still has two chances for more points, as the Tide faces Tennessee on Sunday and Auburn on Oct. 29.