PRACTICE REPORT: Football kicks off fall camp

UA Athletics

The Alabama football team kicked off fall camp with a warm practice outside on Thursday afternoon. The defensive line was observed working in groups of three during the media viewing period. Senior Dalvin Tomlinson and sophomore Da’Ron Payne worked with senior Jonathan Allen. Junior Da’Shawn Hand worked in a separate group with fellow junior Joshua Frazier and freshman Raekwon Davis.

Additional Practice Notes:

• The tight ends began the viewing period working on blocking drills, but quickly transitioned to catch short and intermediate passes from the quarterbacks. 
  • The quarterbacks worked with the tight ends in pairs. David Cornwell and Jalen Hurts took tight end O.J. Howard and half of the tight ends while the other quarterbacks, Cooper Bateman and Blake Barnett, worked with the remaining tight ends. 
  • Cornwell was observed taking reps with Howard on multiple occasions during the viewing period. 
  • The running backs ran drills on the far side of the field during the viewing period. At one point, Bo Scarbrough stepped out of line and took a knee for reasons unknown, but players running out of steam and needing a break would not be usual this early in practices especially given the heat and humidity outside. 
  • Men’s basketball coach, Avery Johnson, attended the Crimson Tide’s practice.

Coach Nick Saban later addressed Scarbrough’s situation.

“He was just struggling a little bit early with some cramps,” he said. “Some of these guys get so anxious before they go out there. He actually got over it and went through practice and did a pretty good job after he got going and got started and got loosened up. He was fine.”