Students studying abroad should learn the local language

Studying abroad is one of the most beneficial experiences a student can have. However, for many students, a critical component is sometimes missing from that experience. Many American students study in foreign countries with no understanding of their language and must rely on foreigners being able to communicate in English. Unfortunately, I am one of such study abroad students.

I found a political science program in Brussels, Belgium, taught by one of my favorite UA professors. My parents were on board and I was excited to have this opportunity. I stepped off the plane in Brussels, and I quickly realized that my native language wasn’t going to help me here. Immediately every sign and conversation was transcribed in either French or Dutch, two languages I had never studied and certainly could not speak. Like most of my fellow students, I may have underestimated the lack of English in this foreign country.

But what did I expect? This wasn’t the US, and English was merely a second or third language for most Belgians. As an American in Europe, I had just assumed that English was a language every native knew with no real justification for that assumption.

In major European cities, many people are able to speak English to foreign tourists. In fact, many Europeans speak multiple languages and can switch speaking languages at the drop of a hat. Within the European Union, there are 23 officially recognized languages, and every EU official must be proficient in at least French and English. As for EU citizens, reports estimate that around 54 percent of people can hold conversation in two different languages, 25 percent of citizens can speak three languages, and 10 percent of citizens can converse in four or more languages. Whether this impressive language acquisition stems from the close proximity of countries with different recognized languages or the massive tourist sector in Europe, there is no doubt an average European is more capable of speaking a language to suit a foreigner than an American. However, being unable to communicate with at least 46 percent of the population leads to issues.

American study abroad students gain a major addition to their experience if they know a little of the language of the country where they will be residing. For myself, I have to start every conversation with “Parlez-vous anglais?” or “do you speak English?” Immediately, before I even introduce myself, the tone and direction of the conversation change. I give myself away as an American, and natives are now less likely to treat me as a local. By not speaking a local language, I deprived myself of an experience to know  the cultural aspects of a foreign country, which in reality, is the whole point of studying abroad. Furthermore, museum plaques, menus, store signs, newspapers, television, public displays and much more are all in foreign languages. By not being able to understand any of this communication, students are merely walking through the steps of studying abroad instead of gaining a cultural appreciation for a foreign country.

Learning languages has its obvious benefits like making yourself more attractive in job markets, but the most significant benefit is opening up experiences you wouldn’t otherwise have. Learning a language when studying abroad allows you to have a genuine conversation with locals, understand the history behind a masterpiece of artwork, or even sing a traditional celebration song in a bar with one hundred other people while watching the EuroCup. Language is the key to local life, and it gives you the inside view of what it is like to be from that country. You learn more, you grow more and you appreciate more when studying abroad by learning their language.

Amelia Putnam is a junior majoring in Political Science.