UA film wins big at 20th American Black Film Festival

Jeffrey Bryant Hanson

Seth Panitch, a theatre professor at the University, won the grand jury prize for best film at the 20th American Black Film Festival. Panitch received the prize on Sunday, following the five day film festival.

Panitch’s grand prize winning film “Service to Man” was Panitch’s first full feature-length film, according to UA News. The film was selected out of 25 others, and was also nominated for best screenplay and best direction.

Panitch said the film was somewhat based on his father’s experiences with white students at Meharry Medical College in Nashville, Tenn., in 1968.

The film, which took five years to research and write, depicts black medical students working as one during a tumultuous time in the country. Panitch said during that time, those individuals found a way to communicate that has been lost to many in today’s society.

“Service to Men” began as part of a larger initiative in 2006 known as the Bridge Project. According to UA News, the project seeks to help UA theatre students become accustomed to working as a theatre professional. Through this project roughly 30 UA students were able to participate in the film.

When the research and writing aspects of the film were completed, Panitch reached out to Aaron Greer, a former University associate professor of telecommunications and film. With his help, the two began pre-production and assembled a camera crew.

UA News reports that in addition to Greer, Panitch was assisted by Andy Fitch, an associate professor of scene design at UA

In addition, filming for the movie took place at UA and Shelton State Community College.

Reportedly, Panitch now hopes that the film will create enough interest to be displayed at other film festivals, and possible be released someday.