HCA idea: honorable, but proceed with caution

An estimated 4,000-plus students comprise the University of Alabama Honors College, which is made up of the University Honors Program, International Honors Program, Computer Based Honors Program and the University Fellows Experience.

Outside of Coach Nick Saban’s staff, this college serves as one of the University’s best recruiting tools. The results speak for themselves.

I, and probably many other Capstonians, had their initial college apprehensions relieved by the Honors College. It demonstrated that this large public university did strive for academic excellence. I also appreciated the sweet suite dorms and early class registration.

Once enrolled at the University in the fall of 2008, I felt no real connection with the Honors College. I did Alabama Action and took some UH courses, but there was no Honors College umbrella organization to unite under, because the Honors Program Student Association failed to catch hold. I simply threw the Honors Program on my resume and went along with my college career.

This year, the student-created Honors College Assembly was formed with the purpose of opening up an umbrella organization for honors students. With such a large and diverse body, its mission is tough. Already though, the HCA has proven itself as a campus powerhouse by successfully recruiting top-tier members to host and support numerous projects and events.

The well-established faculty-student relationship within the HCA provides students with a strong sense of administrative support and few barriers, because of bureaucratic fast-tracking and the organization’s breadth.

The problem that confronts the HCA, and the Honors College in general, deals not with their statement of purpose or actions, but with their perceptions.

First, the HCA has the appearance of exclusiveness even though it strives for inclusiveness. Fellows and others who frequent Nott Hall hold most of the elected official and appointed director positions. They won the elections fairly and deserved the appointments, but it does not bode well for an organization’s perception that purportedly wants to reach out beyond the normal Honors College contingent.

Those who were established in the Honors College became more so, while those on the outside would have to climb up from within to find a position. Inclusive, yes, but mostly for those already on the inside. Others had no incentive to join, as they did not feel connected in the environment and feared having their ideas swallowed up by the college.

This fall, the HCA applied and received a block seating section in the student section at football games. Again, the purpose was, and is, sound, but to engage hesitant outsiders, deciding to sit in the area of the stadium that reeks of exclusion and alcohol is not the best move. It reinforces the notion that only a limited number participate in the organization.

Secondly, the Honors College is too big to actually act small via the HCA. This facultysupported organization is unlike most on campus. With no definitive path, it could potentially intrude on and engulf other organizations by simply having such immense resources.

Incoming honors freshmen will be attracted to the HCA for this reason, which will suck potential leaders and energy out of more general UA groups and initiatives. Those not dedicated to the Honors College from the start will be left behind and feel alienated. Current students feel that already, and with HCA’s limited size, it will only continue.

Hold your fiery horses; I understand that this is the HCA’s first year on campus. It has no nefarious intentions and does not want to further divide the University. The HCA has great potential to enact a vast amount of large initiatives on campus. It also has the potential for unintentional divisiveness.

I just hope the HCA progresses carefully in order to avoid any backlash against the Honors College and its programs. It would be unfortunate if a stigma were to impede any potential coming from inside Nott Hall. Which, I will add, still needs to have the sexual inequality of the second floor bathrooms addressed.

Wesley Vaughn is a junior majoring in public relations and political science. His column runs on Wednesdays.