Find your niche

If you would have told me in August 2012 that I would be writing a reflection about my last four years at UA, I would have outright laughed (and probably cried) in front of you. Growing up in a suburb of Chicago, Tuscaloosa is not a place you think life will take you. In fact, you aren’t even sure it is a real place at all. But applying on a whim to a school halfway across the country in your guidance counselor’s office without telling your parents is not something that just happens. It is something that’s meant to happen.

Being a small part of The University of Alabama has been one of the most amazing experiences of my life, but I wasn’t so certain of my happy ending when I began my Alabama story four years ago. In addition to overcoming the challenges faced by most freshmen, I was uncharacteristically homesick in a place where I felt like an outsider. To say the least, I was pushed far beyond the cozy confines of my comfort zone. And that’s what I want to share with you – how being outside your comfort zone is one of the best things that can happen to you and why I would challenge anyone to embrace their struggles with confidence.

Let’s rewind to the beginning of my college career. By November of first semester, I had already applied to transfer to a school in Chicago and had my heart set on moving back home. I was barely involved on campus, spent a lot of time in good ol’ Juila Tutwiler and wasn’t really trying to improve my circumstances. But my parents encouraged me to stick it out – reminding me how much I loved Alabama in the first place. Despite the distance and the challenges I was aware of upfront, I chose UA. I decided to come to school here after being told time and time again that going to college far away is easier said than done. So with high hopes I would find something to make me stay, I enrolled for my second semester at Alabama.

And honestly, the rest is history. I became involved in my sorority, Zeta Tau Alpha, holding various leadership positions as vice president of Recruitment, president and vice president of Programming. With a newfound love for UA and our football program, I joined the Student Recruitment Team. There I was able to make an impact on future students and athletes by sharing my experience at Alabama, how it became a home to me and how it could be a home for them, too. I even had the opportunity to speak at a Midwest Admissions Tour with some prospective students in the Midwest cities. In a way, I saw myself in them and wanted to help them overcome their fears and concerns. Through the Culverhouse College of Commerce, I became of member of Alpha Kappa Psi and joined the UA Sales Program Digital Outreach Team. These groups fostered my personal and professional growth in a way that I could have never anticipated and introduced me to some absolutely wonderful role models along the way.

Getting involved on campus is what brought me to the decision to stay, but the strangers who turned into my best friends are what have made Alabama home. If it wasn’t for finding the good in being out of my comfort zone and challenging myself to grow, I would’ve never crossed paths with some of the most beautiful and incredible people.

So to the students who ever feel homesick or that UA isn’t the place for you – stay. Find your niche here on this campus and if you can’t find it, make it. Change this University for the better and leave a footprint for those to come. Put yourself out there even if it’s scary or uncomfortable, because I promise it will be worth it. These four years go by faster than you can imagine, don’t waste a day of it.

To my family and Vinnie – I would’ve never made it through these four years if it wasn’t for your endless support. Thank you for loving me from 700 miles away and giving me something so special to come home to.

And to my friends – thanks for driving me around Tuscaloosa for the last four years, getting kicked out of Innisfree at closing time, being down to pull all nighters with me, keeping Quick Grill and Moe’s Southwest in business, bringing me McDonald’s chocolate chip cookies when it’s been a long day and being my home away from home for the last four years. I can’t wait for Weekend 4.0.

Roll Tide, fam.

Nike Longo is a senior majoring in business management and hospitality management. She has served as President of Zeta Tau Alpha and has served on the leadership board of the Student Recruitment Team. After graduation, she will be pursuing her masters of marketing in marketing analysis at The University of Alabama.