Be where your feet are

As I sit here looking for inspiration for this senior write up, one thought comes to mind. I remember when I first told my friends from home –– Boston –– that I was heading down to The University of Alabama. Some said it was a whole new world, some told me that I was crazy, others told me I was in for an awesome time. And you know what? They were all correct.

Sorry, I forgot to introduce myself: my name is Tommy Condon, I play hockey here at Alabama, and I am a senior with a major in marketing. To be completely honest with you, I’m starting to freak out about graduating and joining the real world in a few weeks. But, for the sake of this article, I’ll put those nervous feelings aside.

Now I know what you’re probably thinking: “Alabama has a hockey team?” Yes, yes we do. In fact, last season we were ranked 4th in the nation, and this year we made the jump to D1 ACHA. Not too shabby if you ask me.

Off the ice, I have been lucky enough to have a start-up company, BSX Audio, which led me to meeting and pitching to major investors such as Shark Tank and even putting a deal together with 50 Cent. Without Alabama, I wouldn’t have gotten my start; the supply store was my first retailer of BSX earphones, and some amazing professors in the marketing department and the sales department helped me perfect my pitch and gave me advice that I needed to be successful.

Now in the past three years, I have had the chance to meet some amazing people from all over the world at this school, and one thing brought them all together: The Tide. I think the best part about The University of Alabama isn’t the football, it isn’t the great southern cooking; it isn’t the countless number of organizations for students to join; it isn’t even the awesome nightlife for students. The best part of The University of Alabama is the camaraderie. I have never been to a place where everyone loves their school so much. Between students, professors and employees, once you are a part of the Tide, you are joining a family. Even out of state, at every hockey game I have ever played in, we had fans who wanted to support the Tide.

I think if I had to give a word of advice, I would tell you exactly what Coach Saban told the hockey team the week before our national championship run last season: “Be where your feet are.” Enjoy every single moment you have here, because as cliché as it sounds, it’ll be gone in the blink of an eye. I can remember moving down to Alabama and feeling like I had all the time in the world. But, here I am, less than a month away from graduation, and I feel I moved down two weeks ago. So go out and dance the night away in the boom boom room, rent a dog from Metro Animal shelter, join new organizations, go darty and maybe even go study for your tests. Don’t worry too much about the past and try not to stress about your future. Enjoy every second you have here, and be where your feet are.  

Tommy Condon is a senior majoring in marketing. He was an academic all-american and the goalie for the UA Hockey team for three years, a team which won the SEC Western Division last year. After graduation, he will be moving to Boston to pursue his career.