Life’s what you make it, so let’s make it rock

Hey fam, my name’s Katelyn (or KKats, for short).

“Life’s what you make it, so let’s make it rock” was my senior quote in my high school yearbook. It has been my Instagram bio since I created my account, and I would totally choose it for my quote in the Corolla if it were still being printed. I’ve had a myriad of experiences at UA that have brought me joy, sorrow, love and knowledge. I’ve used this song—made famous by the ever-fabulous Hannah Montana (pre-Bangerz)—to remind me of how I want to approach each day. I feel she truly speaks to me when she says: “With a new attitude everything can change, / Make it how you want it to be / Stayin’ mad, why do that? Give yourself a break / Laugh about it and you’ll see” – genius!

While it’s not always as easy, I do believe that reacting positively to what life throws at you is a great way to live. I understand that circumstances such as a mental illness can make this extremely difficult, as I learned when I lost my best friend during my junior year. While outwardly many saw a positive smile, it wasn’t always easy to maintain when alone. However, having an incredible support system helped me move forward. Life can be great, and it can be really, really tough. It can be great while it’s tough, and that’s okay.

Sometimes, you need to embrace change by going to a school 12 hours away from home, and you in turn have the most amazing collegiate experience. And you might live in Riverside instead of Tutwiler, and your roommates turn out to be your best friends. Sometimes you try out for something freshman year and you don’t get it – and sometimes you do.

When you make that something, you have to memorize 38 pages of campus facts, and it stresses you out to no end. But, through the stress, you meet your best friends and confidants. Sometimes you ask a guy to a date party and he cancels last minute, so you go with a group of girlfriends, and have the time of your life! And, after a very tough heartbreak and loss, you fall in love again when you didn’t think it was possible.

Sometimes, when hosting an awards banquet, you say “sex” instead of “success” in front of 300 people. Then senior year you give Luke Bryan a tour and the golf cart dies, so he has to help push it. You may be criticized while running for a campus position, and you may be supported. You also may have the opportunity to impact campus, and you do.

While everyone’s life experiences are different, we all have something in common: we’re all in this together (don’t worry – won’t break out into that song). We can choose to be supportive of others or to be #haterz. We can experience life with open arms or close ourselves off to the world.

I’ve spent my time at UA striving for happiness, kinship and joy. While there have been tears of sadness, there have been so many laughs. I have grown into a person who values loyalty and honesty above all. I will continue to live my life in a way that reflects this song, as it has helped me through the best and worst of times.

I’m not always an open book, but I’m always an open ear. I’m ecstatic to be at UA for one more year, and am looking forward to making the most of the experiences to come. If ya ever need me, you can find me jammin’ to Hannah Montana.

Thanks UA for the amazing opportunities you’ve given me, you helped make my life rock.

XOXO, KKats.

Katelyn Katsafans is a senior majoring in finance and has served as president of Capstone Men and Women. After graduation, she will be pursuing a master’s degree in marketing analytics at The University of Alabama.