Alabama women's tennis falls to No. 6 Vanderbilt

The University of Alabama women’s tennis team fell 6-1 to No. 6 Vanderbilt in the final match of the season. The Crimson Tide finishes the regular season with a 4-17, with a 0-13 record in the SEC.

The doubles point went to Vanderbilt. Sophomore Bennett Dunn and junior Danielle Spielmann fell 6-3 on court three, and the Commodores clinched the point with a 6-4 win on court two over junior Joanna Nena Savva and freshman Andie Daniell.

In singles, Vanderbilt started out hot, taking five of the six first sets. The Commodores took a 2-0 lead when Dunn lost 6-0, 6-0 on court six. The lead extended to 3-0 with junior Erin Routliffe’s 6-4, 6-1 loss to No. 19 Sydney Campbell. Vanderbilt clinched the match with a 6-2, 6-3 win on court five over Savva.

The remaining three matches would play out, with two going to a third set super tiebreaker. First, Spielmann fell 6-0, 6-3 on court four to stretch Vanderbilt’s lead to 5-0. Then, Daniell fell short in a comeback bid against No. 13 Frances Altick, losing 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (10-8). In the final match, senior Natalia Maynetto earned a big win in her last regular season match of her career, outlasting No. 21 Astra Sharma 7-6, 1-6, 1-0 (10-7).

The Crimson Tide are last in the SEC and seeded No. 14 for the SEC Tournament. They’ll play Wednesday against No. 11 seeded Missouri. The Tigers defeated Alabama 4-3 in their March 20 matchup earlier in the season.