University Libraries and Writing Center host Great Campus Write-In

University Libraries in conjunction with the Writing Center hosted the first ever Great Campus Write-In on Friday, April 15.

The event took place on the first floor of Gorgas Library from 1-4 p.m. with refreshments and Writing Center tutors present to assist students.

Sara Whitver, the instruction coordinator librarian for the University, said the event allowed students, faculty and staff to come by and work on any type of writing.

“We chose this time because we know that a lot of papers are due but the event is really open for faculty, graduate students, personal writing, academic writing, any kind of writing,” Whitver said.

Amy Dayton, an associate professor and director of the Writing Center, said although the event focused on writing, one of its main purposes was to build a sense of community.

“Writing is one of the hardest things that people do, and when we write, no matter if you’re an expert writer working on your fifth book, or you’re a novice, a student who’s just beginning, it often feels so lonely,” Dayton said. “Part of my mission at The Writing Center is to build a sense of community that many of us, you know, we’re in this together.”

DJ Lovoy, a senior majoring in electrical engineering, said he came to the event to finish some homework.

“Everyone’s pretty helpful here, everyone’s offered me some help,” he said.

Similarly, Allie Sockwell, a first-year master’s student in the CREST Program, also said the event was very helpful.

“I have this big paper due on Tuesday and I’m kind of at a stuck place,” Sockwell said. “I think it’s [the Great Campus Write-In] been really helpful like just knowing that it’s kind of a comforting [and] welcoming environment.”