Women's golf team seeks SEC Championship title in Birmingham with help from freshman

Daniel Melograna

The Alabama women’s golf team heads into this weekend’s SEC tournament in Birmingham ranked No. 1 in the country. The Crimson Tide is coming into the SEC tournament having played two tournaments in the last two weeks.  Coach Mic Potter believes that should benefit the team this weekend in Birmingham.

“I think it is always good to play rather than get real technical this time of year,” Potter said. “They are playing well, [and] we are hitting the shots we need to, so we just need to make a few more putts, and we will see what happens this weekend at the SEC tournament.”

One player hoping to continue her success this season at the SEC tournament is freshman Cheyenne Knight. Knight led the Crimson Tide with the lowest score this past weekend at the PING/ASU Invitational tournament in Arizona. 

Knight is currently second on the team in scoring. Potter said the addition of Knight, the team’s only freshman, has been a huge part of its success this season. 

This will be Knight’s first SEC tournament, and she already knows how big the stage will be this weekend. Even though this is one of the bigger tournaments of the season, Knight is approaching it like it’s just another moment in her career – one thing she can learn from.

“I feel like we can’t put more expectations or pressure on ourselves even though it is the SEC tournament, but at the end of the day it is just 54 holes of golf,” Knight said. “Playing against a lot of good teams and good players has definitely prepared us, and I try to learn from all the players I play against.”

Whatever it takes to keep the team relaxed, it seems to be working because the women’s golf team heads to the SEC tournament ranked No. 1. There the Crimson Tide is seeking to win the SEC tournament for the fourth time in school history. 

Sophomore Lakareber Abe said she feels that this year’s team is much closer than last year’s team. Any team will thrive off of good chemistry, and the Alabama women’s golf team possesses just that.

“We are definitely clicking a lot better,” Abe said. “I think we are lot closer, and we hang out on and off the course no matter what happens. For example, today after practice we are going to get our nails done just to give us some relaxing time because this weekend will be our third straight tournament.”