Alabama announces Pelphrey as new associate head men's basketball coach

On Wednesday, Alabama announced former Arkansas coach John Pelphrey would replace Scott Pospichal as the associate head men’s basketball coach. 

“I am very excited to welcome coach John Pelphrey, his wife Tracy and his entire family to the Alabama men’s basketball program,” Johnson said. “John brings a wealth of coaching experience to our program and we are fortunate to have someone of his caliber join our staff. We are glad he is back in the Southeastern Conference where he has spent a majority of his career as a player and a coach. He has a vast amount of knowledge about the game, is a very good teacher of the game and will be a great fit in our program.”

Before leading the Razorbacks from 2007-11, Pelphrey lead the South Alabama Jaguars from 2002-07. He later found himself serving as an assistant for the Florida Gators for the second time from 2011-15. Pelphrey spent the last year working as an analyst for ESPN and the SEC Network.  

He is 149-126 as a head coach. In his 10 total years with Florida he helped the Gators secure four SEC Championships, seven NCAA tournament appearances and an appearance in the 2000 National Championship game.

Prior to becoming a coach, he played at Kentucky from 1988-92 as a part of “The Unforgettables” class. Pelphrey was inducted into the Kentucky Hall of fame in 2005, and his jersey number (34) was retired in 1992.

“My family and I are very humbled and excited about the opportunity to be a part of Avery Johnson’s basketball staff and family,” Pelphrey said. “I have so much respect and admiration for Avery in the approach he took to get to know us. He really made my wife Tracy and I feel wanted. I am looking forward to serving and support coach Johnson, our staff and the student-athletes in any way that I can to help this program keep moving forward. The University of Alabama is a wonderful institution with a proud tradition. It is an honor to now be a part of it and the Tuscaloosa community. Roll Tide and Buckle up!”