Anderson prepares for expanded role

Ryan Anderson is ready to elevate his game. In his time with the Crimson Tide, he has been known for his ability to disrupt passing plays.

For his senior season, Anderson is ready to show that he is more than just someone who can get to the quarterback.

“I take pride in being an all-around player, not just being somebody they go up against on third down, just run up the field.” Anderson said.

Anderson remembers the time he decided to come to Alabama. During the A-Day game in 2010, he committed to the school after experiencing the spectacle that is Alabama’s spring game. He believes that Saturday afternoon in April was key to his decision to come play for the Crimson Tide.

“It was big, you know, just to see all those people there at the spring game, showing [up] for the spring game,” he said. “I was like ‘I can only imagine what it will be like for the fall.’ So that left a big mark on me. I already liked the place when I came. I just felt at home and that just took it over the edge.”

Anderson first arrived at Alabama in 2012. He did not see consistent production until his redshirt sophomore year, where he totaled 25 tackles and three sacks on the season. From there, his role began to expand and his impact increased. In his junior season, he had 37 tackles and six sacks in 15 games.

Anderson said when he first stepped on campus, it took some adjustment to get comfortable with the rigorous style that Alabama employs.

“It was a culture shock for me,” he said. “I had to do stuff that I was never asked to do before. At first, I was real stubborn about it, just being young and that kind of railroaded me little bit. I got in my own way.”

As his role started to increase, he started to embrace the program’s style. He began to buy into the coach’s philosophies to become a better player. From there, he said he only improved as a member of the defense.

“I just wanted to do whatever I had do to help the team,” he said. “I started trusting the coaches and the process. Since then, everything has been going better for me.”

Anderson is apart of a position group that has a recognizable amount of talent coming into the 2016–2017 season. As one of the leaders at the linebacker position, he is trying to bring together a group with a lot of talent to be the best it can be.

Anderson, Reuben Foster and Tim Williams are among the veterans at the linebacker position charged with the task of continuing the tradition of great Alabama linebackers during the Saban era.

Rashaan Evans, another veteran linebacker, believes it is this groups time to step up and be the leaders of the defense.

“I know we always have improvements for ourselves, but we’re excited,” Evans said. “I know the defense this year is going to pick up exactly where it left off at.”

Veteran leaders like Anderson become essential to a team’s success. With the loss of Reggie Ragland, the linebacking corps is looking to multiple players to lead the team and defense back to success.

Coach Nick Saban said players like Anderson help the team’s commitment to playing the right way.

“Everybody needs to make a choice and decision,” he said. “Everybody has the right to fail, but they don’t have the right to fail for their teammates. So everybody needs to make a commitment to the people that are planning on them.”