October full of charity events

Last year, we had an idea. The Student Government Association wanted to capture the creative talents of our student body and to turn anyone’s ideas to reality. So we formed Ideas to Action, a program that allows students to transform their ideas into successful initiatives through accessing the full resources of the SGA.

Ideas to Action has been a tremendous success. Ideas hatched in dorm rooms at 2 a.m. have grown into full-blown SGA-sponsored projects and events. Through this program, we’ve shown SGA’s commitment not to itself but to the everyday student whose ideas really drive our campus.

I mention Ideas to Action because it’s a prime example of empowering Alabama’s finest students—the ones who invest in our campus in both small and great ways, continually binding themselves to seeing it improve.

Alabama isn’t lacking in students who fit that mold. Each year, students from every corner of campus take it upon themselves—often completely outside of SGA—to do work in our campus community with the goal of improving lives.

Next week, Beat Auburn Beat Hunger—the annual “food fight” between the Capstone’s Community Service Center and our Auburn counterparts—kicks off. Since 2007, Alabama has held the title of BABH champion. More importantly than that, students, faculty and staff at the University of Alabama have donated over 685,000 pounds of food to the West Alabama Food Bank. This student-driven initiative engages the University in its surrounding community by heightening awareness for the hunger needs of West Alabama.

We’ve all seen the LessThanUThink posters, part of a campaign that informs students of the nature and definition of binge drinking. Fifteen public relations and advertising students at the University are conducting one of the largest student-crafted ad campaigns in campus history, and they’re doing it for a cause: strengthening student health and well-being. By utilizing creative graphics and catchy slogans, the good influence of LessThanUThink has spread like wildfire across campus.

Because October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I’m reminded of the dedicated and passionate individuals who run Relay for Life each spring. Student members of Colleges Against Cancer work year-round to plan for the spring’s Relay events, raising both money and awareness in the fight against cancer. In the end, Relay brings together students from across campus to unite behind a common cause.

Who are the students exhibiting such selfless service? They are down the hall or across the classroom, the ones who believe in contributing to the common good, the men and women who refuse to leave campus without being part of real change. Whether against hunger, against binge drinking or against cancer, ordinary students are fighting for causes that affect us all. And in the process, they engage our campus community in deep and meaningful ways.

I laud these students, and I ask more students to get involved in these invaluable initiatives.

In the coming months, I promise to commit our SGA to a deeper and more widespread involvement in the campus community, namely in supporting events and initiatives not sponsored by or products of the SGA. We truly value programs geared toward serving our community, regardless of whose ideas they spring from. When these opportunities arise, I encourage student organizations to utilize the resources SGA offers. Our Financial Affairs Committee (FAC) allocates funding to student organizations for needs relating to organizational activities, including major campus-wide initiatives and events. Come by our office in the Ferguson Center to find out more and how to apply.

In the end, each of us should find the niche where our passions flourish then devote our time to leaving our University as we imagine it can be. Though our time here is short, our impact can be immeasurable. If we renew our commitment, then together – SGA, student organizations, and all students – we can leave an indelible mark not only on the University, but on the Tuscaloosa community and on the state of Alabama.

James Fowler is a senior majoring in business and political science. He serves as SGA President.