The Crimson White and Alice Magazine win six awards

The Crimson White and Alice Magazine won six awards in the 2015 Society of Professional Journalism Region 3 Mark of Excellence contest. The publications also finished as finalists in six other categories.

Alice won the award for Best Student Magazine in its inaugural year. The Crimson White’s editorial board received an honor for Editorial Writing for it’s columns “UA must edit policies to protect free speech speech,” “UA was wrong to give Taylor 2nd chance” and “judicial ruling a betrayal of trust.”

Individual writers for both publications were also honored. Mark Hamontree received an award for his editorial writing. Alana Norris won in the general news reporting category for her story on the 50th anniversary of the Selma-to-Montgomery march. In the sports writing category, Elliott Propes was honored for his profile on Deontay Wilder. Cartoonist Margurite Powers took home the prize in Editorial Cartooning for her work on breast cancer awareness, sexual assault and racial profiling.

The Crimson White finished as a finalist in four categories. Savannah Vankirk’s “Breast cancer only takes a single second” received a nod in the feature writing category. Amy Sullivan’s cover for the “It’s On Us” edition finished as a finalist in the general news photo category, and Hanna Curlette’s “Perfect in Pink” gymnastics photo was honored in the sports photography category. The paper’s series of stories on free speech, “The Sound of Silence” was a finalist in the in-depth reporting category.

Stories in Alice also finished as finalists, including Becca Murdoch and Laura Testino’s “Show Me the Money,” a feature on pay inequality for women, and “Swipe Left,” a story by Murdoch on Tinder dating.