Tuscaloosa: closed for Easter Sunday

When I first came to Alabama I figured I might be in a for a little culture shock. I expected the accents, the politeness, more religion, less cursing. But what has really affected me the most are some of the smaller, seemingly insignificant traditions.

This really hit home to me this past Sunday, Easter Sunday in case you weren’t aware. I couldn’t go home to be with my family so I stayed in town. The streets felt empty but I enjoyed the less crowded bar and the little extra freedom until Sunday rolled around and I attempted to find a meal. A seemingly simple task, I pulled up to Publix to see a group of students peering in the apparently black windows. As they walked away from the windows dejectedly, I figured it was on to the next one.

Yet, I found the same result at Fresh Market. Then, as I continued to drive around I found to my surprise a multitude of fast-casual, or even just fast food restaurants closed. Even Chipotle was closed. In my heart, I knew it was because of Easter and by giving their employees a day off they were being very kind. But in my head, and mainly my stomach, I questioned this logic in a college town like Tuscaloosa.

Many people have commented on the University’s changing demographics. And say what you will about them, one of the main effects of having half the population being from out of state is that there will be more people in town on long weekends or holidays like Easter. So where should they have eaten Sunday?

My hunger made me testy, and I called my parents to complain about my lack of choices. They simply told me how when they were young, even gas stations were closed on Sundays, and people mainly stayed with their families. I appreciated this thought, and understood that because these less fancy, fast-casual restaurants were closed it offered the opportunity to spend quality time at home or in a nicer restaurant that would lead to a longer, more thoughtful meal. However, these thoughts also left me feeling more alone. With most of the people I knew home with their families, and my family over 10 hours away, I couldn’t even enjoy a simple meal by myself.

Eventually, the saga ended; I found something to eat, and in my less hungry state I could clearly see I was acting like a brat. But, I think that Tuscaloosa should consider how to handle situations like these for the University. I’m sure many students had to drive out of their way for an open grocery store or restaurant. Or even more broadly the students who aren’t Christians who didn’t even know things would be closed or why they might be. With the growing out of state population, these traditional closures may seem odd. While I don’t want to suggest that these stores force their employees to work, I feel as though the University should offer a way for those far from their families to feel more at home, and maybe even a free lunch.

Alyx Eva is a senior majoring in American studies and English. Her column runs biweekly.