Travel Guide: Cool off in Alabama's rivers and other swimming spots

Budding flowers, dogs on the quad, and an onslaught of pollen- these can only mean one thing: the weather in Alabama is finally warming up. With the arrival of spring and better weather, students now have an overwhelming amount of weekend activity options. Gone are the days of Netflix and hot chocolate; bring on the kayaks, hiking trails, swim suits and picnics. 

This is the start of the best time of year for swimming and relaxing at the beach or lake, and Alabama is known for its beautiful coast line which features iconic spots such as Mobile Bay, Gulf Shores and Orange Beach. However, the state also boasts several large, diverse rivers, which can be a more viable option for anyone searching for a place to cool off that is a little farther than the Rec pool but a little closer than the coast line. 

This is a list of some of the best spots in Alabama to relax by water without breaking the bank on a beach trip. It includes rivers and small swimming areas, so there is a variety of options for the next warm weekend trip. 

Cahaba River Tube Float

Want to enjoy the water while expending minimal effort? Tubing is the perfect activity. For $10, Limestone Canoe Club in Brierfield, Alabama will supply a tube and a shuttle that drops customers off four miles up the river. After that, visitors spend the next couple of hours just floating back down the river, relaxing and enjoying the scenery. The Canoe Club is a bare-bones operation that only takes cash, so be sure to come prepared. This spot is a little over an hour from Tuscaloosa, which makes this is a great option for a day trip. 

Little River Canyon Swimming Area

This National Preserve is located in Fort Payne, Alabama, which is a little under three hours from the University. It offers a wide array of activities, such as hiking and camping, but it also has several swimming areas. The best spot is a swimming hole in the West Fork of Little River Canyon. Visitors can relax on the riverbanks or mess around in the water. This spot is also directly adjacent to Desoto Falls, one of the tallest waterfalls in Alabama and definitely worth a detour when visiting the area. 

Rideout Falls

This spot is northeast of Hamilton, Alabama, about two hours north of Tuscaloosa. It is the perfect distance for a weekend trip. It has a swimming area at the bottom of the falls and a tall rock platform on the banks that can be used for cannonballs and swan dives alike. It is a short hike out to the falls, which can be heard from almost half a mile away. The tranquility and natural beauty of this place make it a great option for an afternoon hang out spot.

Hurricane Creek Park

This natural park houses Hurricane Creek, a small creek that runs through the area. The park is run by the Tuscaloosa Parks and Recreation Association and provides easy access to the water front. Hiking trails, hammock spots, beach and picnic areas are all available to visitors. Swimming is allowed throughout the park, which is less than 20 minutes from campus. 

Lake Nichol

This spot is best known among students for its cliffs. Cliff jumping is a popular activity for many, but be aware that it is illegal and not advised. This spot is great for spending the day swimming and relaxing on the rocks instead. The lake is an easy walking distance from the parking area, so this is a good opportunity for to bring food and music and have a picnic on the cliffs overlooking the lake.