Thank you, tough professors

Spring break is over and midterms are in the past. Many of us may be wondering where we can find motivation to continue on with studying and assignments now that there is no spring break to look forward to. Soon enough, finals will be upon us, and we will once again reach a new level of agonizing over grades. Who wants to be working on a group project or six-page paper at this point in the semester? There is sunshine to enjoy and crawfish to eat.

This is usually the time in which we begin to blame our professors for our responsibilities, proclaiming that they just do not want us students to enjoy our college life. Call me crazy, but I actually have grown to appreciate my “tougher” professors. As every semester I get closer to my time at UA coming to an end, I really do have gratitude for those who truly challenge me to learn.

I understand this idea sounds outrageous and maybe, for lack of a better term, nerdy, to some. But personally, I want to acquire all the knowledge I can before I have to enter the ever-dreaded real world and get a job. I want to know all I can about my field of study and the world around me before I have function like a real adult in it. I can’t help but feel a little disappointed when I see someone not taking full advantage of, or even disregarding, the education that our university faculty is trying to give him or her.

Furthermore, a college education is an opportunity that is not readily available to all. I appreciate my teachers who care about more than their students just passing, or giving them a positive response on end-of-the-semester surveys because the class was easy. I do not want to make an A with minimal effort. Why? That likely means that I consequently learned a minimal amount from the course.

However, I do understand not every class can be, or should be challenging. I am as happy about that as any. I am simply extending a thank you to professors who have taken a special interest in my education as well as that of many other students, by making sure we took something away from their class.

So, next time you find yourself inside on a sunny Saturday typing away at a paper, or doing your part on a group project, or studying material that you are sure you can never fully absorb, try and think of the positives. First, you are displaying self-discipline, and second, you are gaining worthwhile knowledge and skills for your future career.

Say a thank you to your “tough” professors for their desire to make you learn and their investment in your education. You never know, the gesture could be a grade booster itself.

Anna Wood is a sophomore majoring in journalism. Her column runs biweekly.