Little Italy leaves a bad taste

After the Tide drubbed Penn State, their fans found solace in the hospitality shown towards them by Alabama fans. Some even sent us letters expressing their thanks. Northerners hear about Southern hospitality all the time, I am sure. But they don’t really appreciate it until they come down and experience it.

Indeed, kindness is at the core of our way of life here in the South. Which is why I am just slightly surprised that so many of my Southern peers continue to support the scourge on our reputation that is Little Italy.

Not only do its employees fail to live up to Southern standards of hospitality, they fail to meet any standard of basic human decency. This is especially appalling considering Little Italy, like all businesses, relies on its customers for income.

After last week’s game, I went to Little Italy to celebrate the Tide’s great victory over Florida. What I saw quickly killed my football-induced high.

When I asked for extra plates, one of the kitchen workers threw them on top of my pizza. This was after the same employee had instructed patrons to “keep your f—ing ticket with you,” and asked number 68 to “put your hearing aids in please” because he had to repeat that their order was ready.

Bad language is apparently not prohibited in their employee handbook, as they used a lot of it even while gameday visitors with children dined.

The fact that some customers had trouble hearing their number called is not surprising considering that heavy metal music was blaring through their sound system.

The kitchen floor is even more disgusting than the cooks, which is probably why Little Italy’s health department rating is 75. They have conveniently posted that score behind a stack of cups.

On previous occasions, I have witnessed chefs go on smoke breaks while long lines of customers waited on their food. There are countless other examples of Little Italy employees showing total disregard for their customers.

The most offensive thing about all of this is Little Italy’s location. Businesses on The Strip have a prime opportunity to market to our enormous student body and to fans on gamedays. However, they are also located close to campus, and their conduct inevitably reflects on the University and the atmosphere we strive to maintain. They have a special responsibility, then, to treat customers with respect.

As students, we should start enforcing our standards with our pocket books. We should spend our money at establishments that know how to treat people.

It isn’t just Little Italy. It is any business that makes a joke out of our mantra of Southern hospitality.

I know avoiding Little Italy, and other bad restaurants with good food, is something of an inconvenience for hungry pizza lovers. Little Italy, to its credit, makes some of the best pizza in town. I love to eat it, although I am fully aware that overconsumption could some day induce a heart attack. As much as I despise the atmosphere of the place, occasionally I find myself wanting to go.

However, if food is not prepared in a healthy environment or served with some degree of respect, it is probably best not to buy it. Little Italy lives up to neither of those standards. For that reason, I am going to avoid it.

Besides, Moe’s is opening soon, anyway. They’ve got good food and good people. Why take the extra steps to Little Italy when Moe’s will be conveniently located at the end of The Strip?

Students should also check out other places on The Strip in place of Little Italy (think Pita Pit, Bento, Jimmy Johns, etc). It will be healthier, and it will definitely be a better experience.

Tray Smith is the opinions editor of the Crimson White. His column runs on Fridays.