Mental illness sufferers are not alone

“The stigma.” Over the past year, this phrase has become a common referral to the lack of social acceptance surrounding mental health disorders. I have to say I have been extremely pleased and excited about the attention being brought to mental illness and the effort on our campus to “end the stigma.” Never did I imagine in my time here at the University would I see and be a part of such a meaningful movement. Seeing students come together for a cause that affects so many of our own is powerful and touching.

Last week, we lost two students who were part of the UA family. Their battles were ones we can only guess. I, and I am sure the rest of the student body, ache for those who knew and loved them. The sorrow cannot fully be put into words.

I long for students to not only “end the stigma” but to push past it and reach out to someone should they seem to need it. I truly yearn for a day on our campus, and hopefully the in the country, in which there is no trace of a stigma attached to mental health; a day when discussing mental health is as casual as discussing the common cold. When society welcomes this open discussion, I can only hope more will be helped, more will be healed.

College is difficult. Life is challenging. People struggle, and that is okay. It is no more a person’s own fault than any different kind of illness. And that is precisely what mental health disorders are: illnesses. They cause pain and sickness and damage, but not always on the outside. No one wants it. No one gets it through his or her own fault.

Our campus has great resources offering help to those who need it. I highly encourage students to take advantage of these resources, and encourage their friends to do so as well. Mental illness is treatable. No one has to suffer in silence, to live with the full effects of their disorder. People care, and they will help. You are here because you matter, and you are not alone.

Anna Wood is a sophomore 
majoring in advertising. 
Her column runs biweekly.