Enough partying goes on in Tuscaloosa

The masthead of the Crimson White proudly boasts: Serving the University of Alabama since 1894. You’ll understand then, why I was slightly aghast when I read Karissa Bursch’s piece “Making a house (party) a home” Monday morning. Is this the standard of journalistic excellence to which the CW aspires? I’m still trying to wrap my head around how this piece made the front page of the paper. It’s the article equivalent of the “Bro, when my bro was here, he threw the best ragers ever” conversation.

Now, maybe I’m bitter because my Friday and Saturday nights are often spent at home knitting sweaters for my cat, or whittling, or learning Zamfir tunes on my pan flute. Maybe it’s because I lack the requisite experience to understand what sort of public good or service this article performs. In reality, all one has to do is ride up Bryant Drive, as is often my wont, on a Sunday morning, dodging the shrapnel of broken glass, to understand that a fair amount of partying goes on in T-town.

I’m further struggling to understand how one of America’s finest crooners, and chronicler of aeronautical tragedy, got dragged into this mess. Don McLean, as far as I know, is a good and clean man, who would scoff at being associated with such bacchanalian indulgences. American Pie indeed.

Greg Houser is a first year graduate student in English.