Softball wins 2 to open Panther Invitational

No. 5 Alabama softball won its fifth and sixth straight games to open the Panther Invitational on Friday. The Crimson Tide downed Miami (Ohio) 10-2 in six innings before eking out a 1-0 win over Maryland in the second game.

Freshman left-hander Madi Moore (4-0, 0.63 ERA) won her fourth straight start. She gave up her first earned run after only allowing one unearned in 19 innings pitched (including part of Friday’s matchup). Moore allowed five hits, walked one and struck out seven.

Alabama’s lineup combined for 10 runs on 10 hits. Five players had two hits. Sophomore infielder Demi Turner led off and went 2-3 with two RBIs. Senior infielder Leona Lafaele went 2-2 with two RBIs. Redshirt sophomore Peyton Grantham went 2-3 with an RBI. Seniors Andrea Hawkins and Kallie Case both went 2-4. Case led with three RBIs, including a walk-off single with the bases loaded in the sixth to induce the mercy rule.

In the second game, junior right-hander Sydney Littlejohn started in the circle for the Crimson Tide. Littlejohn (2-1) earned the win after pitching 5 2/3 innings in the 1-0 win. She allowed two hits, walked a pair and struck out five. 

Sophomore right-hander Alexis Osorio notched her first career save after pitching 1 1/3 innings in relief, including getting out of a bases-loaded jam in the bottom of the seventh. Osorio allowed two hits and walked one, both in the seventh inning. She struck out three.

Both teams were scoreless until the top of the seventh when Alabama freshman Merris Schroder reached on an error. After a sac bunt moved her over, Turner collected her third RBI of the day on a double to score Schroder. Turner finished 2-4. Freshman Reagan Dykes was the only other Alabama player to record multiple hits against Maryland. She finished 2-2. Hawkins went 1-2 in the second game.

Alabama (7-1) continues play in the Panther Invitational on Saturday against Mercer (3-2) at 9 a.m. CT and Georgia State (3-5) at 11:30 a.m.