Hidden Gems of Tuscaloosa: Tea Town offers coffee, tea, local quirkiness

Although it’s somewhat hidden behind downtown Northport’s Main Avenue, Tea Town Alabama is not a place to be overlooked. The storefront, located next to Mary’s Cakes and Pastries, is new as of December 2015, but Tea Town has been active in Tuscaloosa and Northport since 2014.

Owners Jonathan and Becca Gardner, who moved back to Alabama from California 3 years ago, first sought to open an organic food truck, but settled on a European-style tea truck built out of a small refurbished trailer. The Tea Truck makes appearances at the Homegrown Alabama Farmers’ Market, the Tuscaloosa Farmers’ Market, and the Kentuck Festival of the Arts.

Visiting the markets was how Natalie Wulf, a senior majoring in civil engineering, first discovered the Gardenrs and Tea Town Alabama.

“I would buy tea almost every time I went,” Wulf said. “Over time, I got to talk to Jonathan and Becca and really got to know them. Obviously opening the storefront was the next step for them. It was bound to happen at some point.”

Tea Town Alabama focuses on providing the community with organic and Fair Trade Certified teas mixed with locally grown herbs and spices. Many of the ingredients come from top organic farms near Tuscaloosa such as Snow’s Bend Farm and Belle Meadow Farm.

“In a year, we hope to get locally everything besides the tea leaves,” Gardner said. “We grow some locally now, a lot of basils and a lot of mint. I’d love to go to a local farmer, go through our whole menu, and see what we can grow.”

Coffee drinkers do not fear, they also serve coffees roasted in Alabama that come from Costa Rica, Honduras and Ethiopia. Parts of their more eclectic menu include Kombucha, a type of fermented tea, and Elixers, a fruit and vinegar based mixture that blends well in cocktails and sodas.

Becca Gardner, who works as an educator for Druid City Garden Project, is passionate about spreading the word on the advantages of local farming and eating organic.

“Nutritionally and as far as supporting the local economy, it’s really important,” Gardner said. “We would love to educate the community and have resources to help people understand the benefits of the foods that they’re putting into their bodies.”

The cozy space of Tea Town appeals to local neighbors and students who are looking for a relaxing, focused and close-knit environment.

“We really pride ourselves on service, and just being a little bit different. If you’re expecting Starbucks when you come in here, that’s not us,” Alabama-grad Jonathan Gardner said of his Tea Town Alabama café. “If you don’t mind a little local quirkiness, we’re just people who are passionate about what they have and about serving others.”

The inside is covered in recycled steel, and the tabletops were created with reclaimed wood.

“The storefront really reflects their beliefs of using local goods and sustainable practices. It shows their philosophy of life,” Wulf said.

The truly special aspect of Tea Town Alabama is the incorporation of all things local. The one-of-a-kind mugs are handmade by local potter Anne Franklin Lamar, the tables were built by local blacksmith artist Steve Davis, and the cookies and baked goods come from Mary’s next door.

“It’s like Cheers,” said Gardner, who sees a lot of regulars because of their welcoming environment.

Gardner has hopes to ride his Tea Peddler, a giant tricycle station that serves tea, through campus or downtown in the next year. He and other local businesses have faced problems because of the difficulties of getting food vendor licenses and permission to set up in areas of Tuscaloosa.

The Gardners have plans to bring in more local goods and art to add to their community-centered atmosphere at Tea Town Alabama. Gardner said they are building a stage for the courtyard area outside where local bands can play. Poetry readings through the University are already lined up for this Spring.

“It’s a huge community effort. Their store reflects that,” Wulf said. “You know that you’re doing more than just making coffee and tea, you’re forming relationships with the people that live around you.”