Pageant helps fund charities

Young women will take the stage and represent their sorority in the third annual Miss Sorority Row pageant tonight at 6:30 p.m. at the Bama Theatre.

Tickets cost $11, but they are nearly sold out, said Delta Sigma Phi’s public relations chair James Rodgers. Information about acquiring tickets can be obtained by calling DSP’s philanthropy chair, Kenny Fowler, at 334-799-1442.

The pageant, hosted by Delta Sigma Phi fraternity, raises money for the American Red Cross, DSP’s philanthropy and the philanthropies of the sororities involved. Corey Smith will perform at the fraternity house after the pageant.

Almost every sorority on campus is participating. The competition includes game day wear, eveningwear, talent and philanthropy segments.

Rodgers, a sophomore majoring in history and general business, said the fraternity prides itself in having one of the largest philanthropy projects on campus.

“Last year we raised [more than] $11,000,” he said. “And this year, we are aiming for [more than] $12,000.”

It’s an ambitious goal that Rodgers said he believes the fraternity can attain.

The money is split between the Red Cross association and the top three finishers of the competition.

“It’s great to see how committed all of the girls were to their philanthropy,” Rodgers said.

Kelly Hite, a freshman majoring in broadcasting, is competing in the pageant.

“I never did pageants in high school, but I’m doing it to have fun and represent my sorority and philanthropy,” she said.

Hite also said she likes that it gives her a chance to continue singing, her high school passion, in her college life.

Sophomore Hallie Majure Phillips, a New College major with a depth study in international business and finance, competed in Miss Sorority Row last year. Like Hite, she said she saw the pageant as a fun opportunity to continue her activities she enjoyed in high school.

Phillips, who has been dancing since she was two years old, performed a routine her dance teacher from home choreographed, and she practiced at a studio in Tuscaloosa.

“The last time I danced in front of a crowd was my senior dance recital,” Phillips said. “It was so exciting revisiting my passion for the Miss Sorority Row performance and showing my love for dancing.”

Phillips said along with the talent portion, getting to know the girls offstage was an important part of the experience.

“I created relationships with girls outside of my sorority, and now I still see them on campus or even have classes with them,” she said.

While some of the girls have a history in pageants, others do not. Regardless, the sororities will be coming to show their support through signs and cheering.

Phillips said her advice to the candidates is “just have fun. Encourage each other and represent your sorority well.”

The pageant will follow almost the same structure as former years, but it will have some minor tweaks.

“We’re going to make it more professional this year,” Rodgers said.

Peyton Gradwell, Crystal Buck and Lisa Hembree, will adjudicate the competition. Emcee Tammy Jones will be moving the show along and announcing the girls.

“Getting everything together is about a year-round process,” Rodgers said. “It’s our biggest project — from booking to entertainment and judges.”

Rodgers said Fowler, President Chase Montgomery and Vice President Ely Jones also helped organize the event.

Rodgers said the pageant is the main thing Delta Sigma Phi is associated with on campus.

“We’ve only been here three years, and this is our third Miss Sorority Row. It’s helping us stay involved at Alabama,” he said.

After the pageant, the show will continue. Country singer Corey Smith will perform at the Delta Sigma Phi fraternity house at 10 p.m.

“Once the pageant is over, we’re heading over to Delta Sig to celebrate,” Rodgers said. “Miss Sorority Row, Corey Smith and the Florida game — sounds like a fun time to me.”