Bama Theatre to host global films

The Bama Theatre will be hosting a global film festival known as the Manhattan Short Film Festival on tonight.

True to its motto — “One World, One Week, One Festival” — the festival is spanning six continents and more than 200 cities, beginning Sept. 26 and ending Oct. 3, 2010.

It is the only film festival to be held in all 50 U.S. states. Tuscaloosa and Montgomery are the two cities chosen to host it in Alabama.

Filmmakers from all over the world submitted their short films by July 31 in the hopes of their films being chosen as part of the lineup. Ten films have been selected from countries across the globe, from Australia to Mexico.

The films will be shown at 7 p.m. Thursday at the Bama Theatre.

“What’s unique about this festival is that people who attend it vote on their favorite film. When people come in, they’ll be given a questionnaire card, like a ballot,” said David Allgood, theatre manager at the Bama Theatre.

The voting cards will be collected and sent to the Manhattan Short Film Festival headquarters, where the winner will be chosen and announced on Sunday, Oct. 3.

Last year’s winner was “Skhizein,” from French director Jeremy Clapin. The film, lasting 14 minutes, was the first animated film to win the Manhattan Short Film Festival.

This year’s lineup includes “War,” directed by Paolo Sassanelli (Italy), “12 Years,” directed by Daniel Nocke (Germany), “Echo” directed by Magnus Van Horn (Poland), “A Little Inconvenience” directed by Helene Florent (Canada), “Push Bike,” directed by Mairi Cameron (Australia), “The Pool,” directed by Thomas Hefferon (Ireland), “Madagascar,” directed by Bastien Dubois (France), “Party,” directed by Dalibor Matanic (Croatia), “Underground,” directed by Eduardo Covarrubias Díaz (Mexico) and “Watching,” directed by Max Myers (UK).

This year’s films range from 10 to 15 minutes in length, with the exception of “12 Years,” which is about three and a half minutes long.

Summaries of the films can be found on the official website for the Manhattan Short Film Festival, ManhattanShort.com.

This marks the sixth year of the annual festival. Tickets are $6 for students.

Allgood said he expects a good turnout for the event, which has drawn large crowds in the past.

If You Go

What: Manhattan Short Film Festival

Where: Bama Theatre

When: 7 p.m. tonight

Cost: $6