Swedish senior keeps Tide under par

Senior Camillia Lennarth has improved since she arrived at the University three years ago from Stockholm, Sweden. She has evolved from a freshman who mentally weighs every shot, to a senior who shoots better than anyone on the team.

Last weekend at the Mason Rudolph Women’s Championship, Lennarth helped the Tide place sixth in the tournament, and she tied for fourth individually.

But the Tide has only competed in two tournaments so far this season, and Lennarth is not letting up.

“I want to win a tournament, but I can only really control my game,” Lennarth said. “If I shoot 5-under three rounds in a row, and I still don’t win, I did my best and that’s all I can do. So I’m just going to have a good attitude out there and give 100 percent every round.”

According to head coach Mic Potter, Lennarth leads the Tide statistically and will finish her career as one of the best players in the school’s women’s golf history.

“When she finishes, the way it looks, she will have the lowest single-season scoring average and probably have the lowest career scoring average when she leaves in May,” Potter said. “She’s 12-under par after two tournaments this season and, put her qualifying rounds in, she’s 24-under-par for the year. I’ve never had anyone there at this point in the season. At this point, scoring-wise, you’d have to consider her our top player.”

Lennarth leads the team at tournaments as well as back at the Tide’s training facility, Ol’ Colony Golf Complex.

“What they learn from her, they learn from observing her,” Potter said. “She’s a really hard and dedicated worker. She spends a lot of time out here [at Ol’ Colony Golf Complex], but at the same time, nothing is done without thought and planning. She has her whole practice planned out; every shot is meant to accomplish something. That is the one thing I would like everyone to learn from Camillia.”

When speaking with Lennarth, it is evident that she is just as interested in team goals as she is in individual accomplishments.

“We have such a good team this year, and we showed in the preview that we are capable to be up there and fight for the first spot,” Lennarth said. “I think all the teams up there should be ready for us.”

The Tide hopes to repeat last season’s Southeastern Conference Championship victory and improve upon its third place NCAA finish.

Lennarth was strong in each of the Tide’s championship finishes.

“Last year, post-season, [at the] SEC Tournament and National Championships, she played really well and without her scores we wouldn’t have gotten to the level we did,” Potter said. “She’s really learned to stay in the present and get rid of a bad shot and give the next one her full attention.”

Lennarth already sees down the line in her golf career and has aspirations of playing on the LPGA Tour.

“[I hope that] people will remember me as a good golfer and a good girl,” she said. “I never really tried to become a leader. I think it’s kind of natural. In the end, I just try to be myself and make good decisions for me and the team, and then if someone wants to follow me and the things that I do, I’m happy.”