Program provides student parents with sitters

Sitters for Service is a program sponsored by the UA Office of Student Affairs that provides free babysitting services for student parents. The program was launched in April and consisted of eight student sitters serving six student parents, according to a document provided by Student Affairs.

“Following the completion of a successful pilot program, Sitters for Service officially launched this semester with 26 student sitters serving 22 student parents,” said Jason Doblin, undergraduate parent support coordinator of student affairs.  “Each student sitter in the program agrees to offer 20 hours of free babysitting for the semester and each student parent in the program receives 24 hours of free babysitting for the semester.”

Sitters for Service works in much the same way that a normal babysitting relationship would, Doblin said. Student parents in the program call student sitters in the program to schedule babysitting appointments. Each babysitting appointment is conducted in the home of the student parent.

The only differences between Sitters for Service and a normal babysitting situation are that no money is exchanged and it is a closed system; only parents participating in the program can use the student sitters involved in the program, Doblin said.

“The experience has been incredible,” said Emily Johnson, a sophomore and a babysitter for the program. “You’d be hard pressed to find something I’d rather do than spend several hours with carefree, lovable kids who get so excited when ‘Miss Emily’ comes to see them.”

In order to become a part of the program, student parents must submit an application. A set number of applications are randomly selected for participation in the Sitters for Service program.

Undergraduate students interested in becoming sitters must fill out an application that includes information about past babysitting experience and three references. A number of applicants are selected to participate in interviews.

“Student sitters must become infant/child CPR certified (training provided free of charge to the student sitter) before being eligible to serve in the Sitters for Service program,” Doblin said.

Though babysitting is provided free of charge, student parents must pay a one-time fee of $30 to help pay for the cost of printed materials for the program and CPR training for the student sitters.

“A lot of people think it’s crazy that I do this without pay, but if they got to spend time with the amazing kids I get to spend time with, they would see why I don’t care about the money,” Johnson said.

For more Sitters for Service information contact Jason Doblin, undergraduate parent support coordinator in student affairs at [email protected].