College of Communication and Information Sciences receives diversity award

The University’s College of Communication and Information Sciences was presented with the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication Diversity Award.

The award was presented to Dr. Mark Nelson, dean of Communication and Information Sciences at UA, by Dr. Lori Bergen, president of AEJMC, on behalf of the college.

Nelson said that receiving the award has given the University national attention towards the College of Communication and Information Sciences and is a testament to the good work that is going on in the college.

“The diversity award is the result of many years of very specific planning and execution of a plan that is committed to improving the diversity in our college through teaching, research and outreach to our students so, it is the reward for a job well done,” Nelson said. “I think it’ll bring national attention to the college and be a real encouragement for students looking for a place to study communication and information sciences.”

George Daniels, assistant dean of the College of Communication and Information Sciences, said that in celebration of the award there were three events Wednesday.

The first event was a meet and greet over breakfast on the 4th floor of The Digital Media Center followed by a luncheon at The University Club and lastly, a mini symposium at The Ferguson Student Center.

“Each event was designed to give faculty, staff and students an opportunity to connect with the president of AEJMC and to celebrate the college winning the award so we kind of did that in three different ways,” Daniels said. “This award recognizes what The University of Alabama has been doing over the years.”