UA School of Music to host choral concert

The University of Alabama School of Music will host an evening of choral singing featuring the University Chorus, the Choral Music Chamber Ensemble and the Hueytown High School Chamber Choir.

The concert will highlight choral music education within the School of Music and the state of Alabama specifically through a performance of varied accompanied and unaccompanied choral literature.

The University Chorus, under the direction of Marvin Latimer, an associate professor of choral music education and department head of music education, will perform last.

“This University Chorus is similar to past ensembles,” Latimer said. “It is a choir comprised of about 70 undergraduate and graduate choristers from across campus.”

University Chorus is one of the largest performing ensembles on campus. Chorus is a non-auditioned ensemble. Members are not required to major in music, although having a background in reading music can be helpful. Interested students can register for the class each semester.

Kaitlyn Stephens, a freshman majoring in math, will be performing in her first concert as a member of University Chorus Tuesday.

“Being in choir definitely helps me relieve stress from challenging classes,” Stephens said. “I love being in the ensemble. It is so much fun to make beautiful music and to sing with other amazingly talented singers. My favorite part is hearing the beautiful harmony of everyone’s voices blending together.”

Chorus will begin their program with “Adiemus” from Songs of Sanctuary by Karl Jenkins, arranged by Nicholas Hare. Featured musicians include flutist Corinth Lewis and percussionists Elliot Davis, Ayla Jones and Laura Smith. Chorus will close with “Homeward Bound” by Marta Keen, arranged by Jay Althouse.

“I cannot wait to perform in the large concert hall,” Stephens said. “I am so excited that I get to partake in this amazing experience.”