Tyler Barron and the BOX to play Rounders on the Strip

When Tyler Barron left college halfway through his first semester, his only goal was to take his music career as far as it would go. He played bars from Birmingham to Gordo, Ala., covering popular country songs as well as writing original pieces.

J.J. Evans, who played in bands for more than 20 years, decided to go see Barron perform at Mike’s Place in Tuscaloosa, where he saw the most talent he’d ever found in an individual, he said.

“I said, ‘I’m gonna go check this kid out.’ I saw him play when he was younger, and I knew he could play the guitar. I went out to Mike’s Place and seven days later, we were playing in bars,” Evans said. “He’s got more talent than any single one person I know that I’ve had the opportunity to share a stage with, and I saw that.”

Barron and Evans formed the country duo Tyler Barron and the BOX and have continued to play in bars in Tuscaloosa and Birmingham for the past seven months. Tyler Barron and the BOX will perform Friday at Rounders on the Strip.

Barron plays guitar and sings for the duo. He said their style is heavily influenced by his country upbringing. Evans plays the cajón, which he refers to as the box. He said his rock ‘n’ roll beginning was a major influence.

“If I had a style to describe our music, I’d say hot country because you’re not gonna hear the slow ballads. Mostly it’s upbeat stuff, and we’re on top of the new stuff coming out,” Evans said.

A typical set list for the group includes original songs and covers of artists like Bruno Mars and Florida Georgia Line. Barron said he has also rapped for some covers.

“If it’s hot on the radio, usually I hear it before it comes out,” Barron said. I listen to a lot of writers who play the songs first. We were playing ‘Cruise’ [by Florida Georgia Line] probably a month before it came on the radio. I even did the rap, but I wouldn’t call it rapping. More like talking fast with style.”

After playing together for seven months, both said they want to continue playing as many places as they can. Evans said he would like to see their fan base increase to everyone they encounter.

“At such a young age [Barron] is, I know he’s got what it takes,” Evans said. “I wanted to get with him and push him. That was my whole drive for this. I want him to go places that I haven’t been. Personal goal for me, I wanna play everywhere.”

Barron said he wants to continue writing and playing what he enjoys, but he makes sure it’s not about the money for him.

“If you’re doing it for the money, you’re doing it for the wrong reasons,” Barron said. “If you’re busy enough to be making big money, you won’t have time to spend it, so you better be happy with what you’re doing.”