Honors College to host Ultimate Xpress Night

Will Gillette started rapping in high school after someone challenged him to a battle in the lunch room. He then took up juggling to accompany his raps. Upon coming to The University of Alabama, he wanted to find a performance outlet to gauge his improvements with an audience.

Xpress Night, hosted by the Honors College, allows Gillette and other student performers to showcase their talents for an audience of their peers.

“I always liked to write. I’ve done poetry and just tried to get ideas down on paper and then you’ve got to perform it,” said Gillette, a senior majoring in English. “It’s hard to gauge yourself and your progress as a writer, but when I see people smiling and their eyes widen, I know that I’m improving. I’ve been doing Xpress Night for years, and it’s so rewarding to see how people really pay attention and watch you grow and change.”

The Honors College will host an Ultimate Xpress Night Thursday, this time in cooperation with the Honors College Art Speaks initiative, from 7-9 p.m. in the Ridgecrest South Atrium, rather than the usual Ferguson Center Starbucks. Performers can take to the mic or try their hand at visual expression with the provided canvases.

Cole Whitney, a sophomore majoring in computer science, is the director of Xpress Night. He said he believes that working with Art Speaks will help engage more students in the event.

“[Art Speaks] usually [does] art projects and events with students, like Xpress Night but more hands on,” Whitney said. “We’re also having it in the dorm this time, where there are more people who may be willing to stop by. I’d like to see a more diverse group of students show up, including upperclassmen and freshmen.”

Caitlin Reilly, a senior majoring in chemical engineering, is another Xpress Night regular who performs covers of artists from Sara Bareilles to Nicki Minaj. She thinks Ultimate Xpress Night will engage more on-campus residents and students who may not attend other performance events.

“When I got to college, Xpress Night was an opportunity to perform without the stress of music classes,” Reilly said. “Having an Ultimate Xpress Night in Ridgecrest will get more on-campus residents involved because it will be easier to bring in friends of performers, not just random people at Starbucks.”

Reilly believes it’s important for students to watch each other perform and discover their talents, even if they are on the quirky side. She was particularly impressed by Gillette’s combination of rap music and juggling.

“I think anyone can learn something from Ultimate Xpress Nights,” Reilly said. “Seeing people perform is almost better than performing, and you can see everyone’s unique talents. There’s a guy that juggles and raps; he’s my favorite. Everyone should stop by and just listen to someone perform.”

As director of the event, Whitney hopes to keep encouraging artists like Gillette and Reilly with performance opportunities. As veterans continue improving, Whitney sees a chance for other students to craft their own ideas as well.

“Last year I discovered Xpress Night because my roommate performed every time,” Whitney said. “I came to watch him, but it was really cool discovering talented people on campus. I’m a big fan of music and finding new types of performances. If you want to express something that maybe you’ve been hiding underneath, Ultimate Xpress Night is a great way to do it.”