Graduate programs: Edward or Jacob?

As University students we have already made the first of many big decisions in our lives; attending the Capstone has vaulted us into the elite echelons of our society. Only 20 percent of Alabamians have ever attended an institution of higher learning, let alone graduated. However, upon graduation, this fairytale is quickly transformed into a nightmare scenario by one simple question: Should I stay to pursue a more advanced degree or risk “the real world?”

While columnist Michelle Fuentes argued earlier this week that graduate degrees in the humanities should be avoided. I disagree. As all of you know, the decision to pursue such degrees essentially boils down to one simple question: Are you on team Jacob or Edward?

The “real world,” Jacob Black, presents plenty of unique advantages to entice young Bella, or our graduate. Jacob (being the dangerous type) constantly parades around on his motorcycle, flashing his tribal tattoos in order to convince Bella to pick him. These dangerous distractions serve only to cover up the glaring short-comings of his personality. Similarly, the allure of venturing out into the “real world” offers Bella a few seemingly exciting options, but also a plethora of potentially hairy situations.

While still around or on campus, graduate students still have access to all of the subsidized amenities we all enjoyed as undergrads. However, the “real world” quickly shows the bare-chested truths of picking Jacob and minimum wage. The flashy luster of getting a “real job” and starting a “real life” quickly wears off when the only job available makes $7.25 an hour flipping burgers.

Instead of being distracted by flashy promises, Bella should simply follow her heart, destiny and common sense by choosing Edward. Much like Edward’s frozen body, the cold hard splash of reality that is graduate school allows students time to more effectively adjust from college life to the employed world, all while gaining more marketability. A graduate degree is a lot more than a piece of paper. The mere pursuit of one allows Bella access to the inner workings of the Cullen family (or the University) through closer connections with professors and possible teaching experiences.

If Bella is honest with herself, the uncertainty of her future after graduation is a terrifying prospect; in a job market with so few doors open already a graduate degree serves only to better those chances of employment. These connections will not just help you with the immediate transition into vampirism but will continue with you throughout your professional career. The life skills will drastically improve your marketability and starting salary.

The debate between Edward and Jacob is as old as time itself (or at least the Twilight series) and it is a decision that will continue to plague generations of Bellas to come. The “real world” can often be an enticing, romanticized place. However, that is all it will be – romanticized. The deep, destined and doting love shared between Bella and her graduate program allows recent graduates the time to acclimate to the real “real world,” all while building even more connections. So seniors, this coming May, ask yourself: Are you on team Edward or Jacob?

Will Gonzalez is a sophomore majoring in secondary education. His column runs biweekly.