It’s time for fans to get up for GameDay

On Saturday, in the midst of a hectic weekend of football, @CollegeGameDay managed to tweet out, “LSU vs Alabama! GameDay is heading to Tuscaloosa. #GetUp4GameDay.”

The No. 1 Alabama Crimson Tide vs. No. 13 LSU Tigers classic was too much for “College GameDay” to pass up, and – to the glee of Alabama fans (everywhere) – hopefully we will get to see Lee Corso don Big Al’s famous head live from Tuscaloosa.

Personally, I believe the ESPN favorite selected Tuscaloosa for this weekend’s festivities for a reason.

Ultimately, their decision was made based on the Tide’s ranking and our past battles with LSU, but one can’t help but think that our fan base had something to do with it as well.

Alabama football is something of a legend, and now, as we sit poised to make history, our fan base is expected to be on the edge of its seat. We are expected to be loud, proud and relentless. We have a reputation for this, and now that we are knocking on the door of a three-peat, there should be no question of our absolute devotion to our team.

Of course, this fantastic opportunity comes merely two weeks after head coach Nick Saban scolded Alabama fans for their attendance during the Arkansas blowout, asking us specifically to stayfor all four quarters and to represent our team and our University regardless of the score.

Granted, during the following week’s battle against Tennessee, the student body showed up in huge numbers and was truly represented well. Yet, the sustainability of this crowd was still somewhat of a concern.

It seems to me, however, that there is no better possibility for redemption, no greater way to put the concerns to sleep than this Saturday. We have a behemoth of a game at our doorstep, as our Tide faces one of its final hurdles as it rolls ever closer toward the 2013 BCS National Championship in Pasadena, Calif., and believe me, the country will be watching.

I would say there is no greater time than now, and I think a huge showing on Saturday morning as those cameras turn on will only assert our dominance further and put all the questions to rest.

Both on the field and off, it’s time to show the country who is king, and that starts with us.

Basically, the numbers on Saturday have to be huge.

We have to have the best signs and the greatest fans. We have to put Texas A&M, Florida State, Oregon and everyone else to shame with our volume, just like our boys do on the field day in and day out.

“College GameDay” is a battle of dominance. It’s an opportunity for The University of Alabama to prove itself once and for all, and it is the least that we can do to pay back the Crimson Tide for all they strive for.

People have been calling us out. From Oregon to Florida State, signs reading “We Want Bama” are blatant.Now’s our chance to give it right back. After all, so did Texas, LSU, Georgia and Notre Dame.

So remember to set that alarm. Grab that sign.

Get up. It’s gameday.

Maxton Thoman is a sophomore majoring in biology. His column runs on Wednesdays.