Lack of diversity traces back to lack of interest

Interest in the arts seems to be fading as we enter new decades; however, a need for entertainment, and thus the arts, will always exist. It has always bothered me to hear someone tell an aspiring artist that they need to find a “real job” or discourage them from a career in a field they truly love. A career in the arts is nothing short of difficult. But with passion, dedication, drive and an incredible support system, it is possible for anyone to make a respectable living from making art.

Recently, celebrity artists have been talking about the lack of diversity within the field. This extends beyond just race and tackles even sex. “Saturday Night Live” cast member Kenan Thompson said, when asked about lack of diversity (specifically with black women) in an interview, “It’s just a tough part of the business, … Like in auditions, they just never find ones that are ready.” As harshly as it can be interpreted, it is the truth when it comes to auditioning for a role of any sort. Unfortunately, if an artist is not what the director is looking for at an audition, then it is the right of that director to reject the artist. This is just as in an interview for any other profession.

If a candidate does not fulfill the requirements, and in most cases, bring something different to the table, then they will not be chosen, and they will be left to improve and try again. I do not think that racism is a factor in the lack of diversity in the entertainment industry, but instead a lack of interest. Simply put, if there are no people – men or women – of color at an audition, how can anyone be surprised or upset when diversity is not present? I also do not think the issue is a lack of talented people of color or even the lack of preparation of people of color in auditions, but rather it’s an issue of a lack of supported interest in the industry.

This is not something that has just spurred overnight, or even just with Thompson and “Saturday Night Live.” The show’s cast has never given reason to suspect racism nor sexism. The very first cast featured the talented Garret Morris, and Lorne Michaels himself chose Gilda Radner. Comedy is not the only area that is suffering from a lack of diversity either. Other celebrities have made an effort to educate and foster an interest in the arts for people of color. Misty Copeland, soloist with American Ballet Theatre, avidly strives to promote interest in ballet in young black girls. Copeland is currently working on a documentary of her life as a black woman in one of the top classical ballet companies in the nation.

But we cannot just leave this task at the hands of celebrities. It is our duty as friends, family members and colleagues to encourage our aspiring artists to follow their dreams and practice their art. Most importantly, it is our duty to be that support system that they need to make it in a tough industry. Our focus should not be solely on those of color, however. If we are going to be bothered by a lack of diversity, then we need to take it upon ourselves to encourage and promote interest in the arts to those of color and support them.

Remember, if there is no one of color to show interest in a field, then there will be no one of color in that field.

Erynn Williams is a sophomore majoring in dance and international studies. Her column runs biweekly.