Watch out for sweets disguised as healthy options

It is hard to believe that there is more to fear than ghouls, goblins and ghosts on All Hallows’ Eve, but the excess consumption of candy can have undesirable effects on students’ health. Halloween candy yields a lot of calories in the form of fat and sugar. This can increase your risk of cavities, obesity, type 2 diabetes and weight gain. It’s okay to indulge and enjoy some of the guilty, chocolate covered pleasures associated with this holiday, but the trick is not to overindulge.

I do not know about you, but if there are any sweets in my house, I will eat them until they are all gone. Candy is customary during the month of Halloween, and if you are like me, candy would not last three days in my house. My tip is to not buy any trick-or-treat candy or desserts until the night before or even the day of. This will help you avoid the temptation of “I will only have one mini Snickers and save the rest,” but then that one turns into another and another. I think you get where I am going with this.

My next tip is to eat a healthy but delicious meal before any Halloween festivity, such as a Halloween party or trick-or-treating. This will help you ward off the devil’s food, as I like to call it, luring you to the dark side. Then you must practice moderation and portion control. There is no problem treating yourself to the goodies of Halloween, but if you want to prevent the unwanted weight gain and other associated risks, it is up to you to remain in control.

Another option would be to purchase low sugar or sugar-free candies and treats. Before you assume that because it is reduced sugar you are in the clear to eat as much as you want, think again. This will be better for you, but you will still need to practice moderation. To take portion control a step further, leave the pillow cases on your bed. No one needs a pillow case full of candy, so grab yourself a smaller pumpkin bucket if trick-or-treating is on your list of Halloween events.

Beware of sweet treats masquerading as healthier options. We are not the only ones in costume on Halloween. Foods such as chocolate covered raisins or pretzels are similar to a child in a white sheet masquerading as a ghost. On the outside, they appear to be one thing, but is that really what they are? Chocolate covered raisins or pretzels give the illusion that they are a healthy treat option, but that is simply a costume. The only thing chocolate did was add unnecessary calories.