Vinnie Sunseri out for remainder of season

Junior safety Vinnie Sunseri will have surgery today and will miss the remainder of the 2013 season with a knee injury, Nick Saban announced Monday, Oct. 21.

Sunseri sustained the injury in the first quarter against Arkansas, went to the locker room and was dressed in street clothes for the duration of the game.

“Vinnie’s done a great job for us,” Saban said. “He’s an outstanding player and a really good person, a good leader. Can’t say enough about the job he’s done throughout this year and his career.

“I’ve always hated when guys get injuries. It’s a tough part of the game,” Saban said. “But it’s going to provide an opportunity for some other guys to step up and play well.”

Before the injury, Sunseri was seventh on the team in total tackles with 20 and fourth in solo tackles with 14.

Sunseri also started the season with two interception returns for touchdowns. He led the Crimson Tide with six passes defended.

Sophomore safety Landon Collins will step in as the starting strong safety in Sunseri’s absence.

“Landon’s been a very good player for us in every role that we’ve asked him to play,” Saban said. “He’s played ‘Money’, he’s played free safety, he’s played strong safety – strong safety is his natural position.”

Collins has played all over the field this season and has made a name for himself in his tenacious play on special teams.

Collins said his new starting defensive position will not keep him away from his role on special teams.

“I’m not trying to get off of special teams, no matter what,” Collins said. “I love it, love making big tackles, love making big plays for my team.”

Collins and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix will now hold down the safety slots in Alabama’s secondary. Both players were five-star recruits out of high school, and fans of the Crimson Tide should be more than happy with its new safety duo.

But Sunseri’s absence will weigh heavy on the entire defense.

“I looked up to him. He made a lot of our calls, he made a lot of our important decisions and arrangements on the field when there’s no coaches on the field with us,” Collins said. “He was a big part of our defense.”

Ryan Kelly ready to go against Tennessee

Sophomore center Ryan Kelly sustained a knee injury Sept. 28 against Ole Miss but looks to be ready to return to the field in Alabama’s upcoming game against Tennessee.

“I think Ryan’s going to a full-go this week,” Saban said. “We’ll see how he progresses through the course of the week.”

Current center Chad Lindsay filled in for Kelly after the injury, and the offensive line has been rolling along without any hiccups.

Quarterback AJ McCarron said the entire offense has improved on its communication from the start of the season.

“I feel like we’re doing good. Even when Kelly was in there I felt like we were gelling,” McCarron said. “Like I said after the Virginia Tech game, it was going to take a couple of weeks, a couple of games, to get into a rhythm as an offense just because we had three new offensive linemen, communications was the biggest issue for us.”

Saban’s mentor passes away

Don James, who was the head coach at Kent State when Nick Saban played there, died at his home in Kirkland, Wash., Sunday. He was 80 years old.

“He was a special man and meant the world to me,” Saban said. “There aren’t enough words to describe not only the great coach he was, but how much he cared for people and the positive impact he made in the lives of everyone he came in contact with.”

Saban also served as a graduate assistant on James’ staff while at Kent State.

James was recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, according to al.com.

“Our thoughts and prayers are certainly with his family,” Saban said.