Vigil honors domestic abuse victims

When Debbie Norris’ daughter Heather was 20 years old, her life came to an early end as the result of domestic violence. Now, Norris travels the country, telling the story of her daughter’s murder in the hopes of motivating others to seek help if they are in an unsafe relationship.

Norris, an Indianapolis native, shared Heather’s story with the University community at the Dating and Domestic Violence Candlelight Vigil, sponsored by the Women’s Resource Center.

“I’m her mom. I’m left without the one person in my life that meant everything to me,” Norris said.

The vigil, held Tuesday on the steps of Denny Chimes, honored the 24 victims killed by domestic violence in Alabama in 2012. It gave students the opportunity to learn about domestic violence resources on and around campus.

Members of the WRC Student Leadership Council were present at the event to offer peer support. All members had previously attended a training session about domestic and relationship violence. Jessica Matczak, a sophomore majoring in social work, is a member of the council who was present at the vigil.

“I think it’s one of those where everybody has this mindset of ‘it’ll never happen to me.’ We’ve heard this so many times before, and this is just 24 of how many victims? This is just 24 of thousands of people, probably on this campus, that could be involved in an abusive relationship,” Matczak said.

One in five college relationships is abusive, either emotionally, sexually or physically, and Alabama was ranked second in 2012 for incidences of men killing women in single-victim homicide. This is not just a women’s issue; in addition to one in four women, one in nine men are also affected by domestic violence, said the speakers at the vigil.

Jeremy Henderson, the associate director for housing and residential communities, was present at the vigil to emphasize the campus resources available to students who are in volatile or potentially violent relationships.

The WRC on campus offers counseling, support groups, academic advocacy and safe housing for victims of domestic and dating violence and their friends and family. They host outreach events to spread awareness of dating violence and the available resources.

“Personally, I’m married, and I have two daughters, so there are three women that are very important to me, but I think just by being a human being, we are affected,” Henderson said. “So I’m a member of this community, and sometimes I think we can get a really individualist focus. If something affects one of us, it really affects all of us.”

Eric Patterson, the graduate coordinator at the WRC, said he believes violence in relationships has increased with the development of social media. He said continual efforts will be needed to further address domestic violence.

“This can’t be just one event where people get awareness. We have to continue to do outreach and re-educate our people on the dangers of dating and domestic violence,” Patterson said.

In addition to the Women’s Resource Center, Turning Point Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Services and the Verizon Wireless 24-hour HopeLine are working to combat relationship violence in West Alabama and the nation.

Wanda Burton, peer education coordinator at WRC, said warning signs of abusive relationships include extreme jealousy, quick involvement, isolation from friends, a quick temper and general disrespect of others.

“If you know your friend is in an abusive relationship, you can continue to be there and offer help and encouragement and resources. We also want to encourage friends of the perpetrator to let their friend know that they’re concerned about them as well. There are warning signs for both sides of the relationship,” Burton said.

Before ending her address, Norris stressed to the crowd that they should always stand up against violence.

“I cannot stress enough that if you are struck, you have to walk away, right then, and never look back, “ Norris said.

On Wednesday, Norris will share more about her daughter’s 2007 murder from 6:30-8:30 p.m. in Gorgas Library, Room 205.

“It’s tragic and rocked Indianapolis to its core. They had never seen anything that happened to anybody like it did to Heather, and I hope it never hits Indianapolis or any city again,” Norris said.