‘Haunted Alabama Black Belt’ chronicles hauntings

If you’ve ever strolled down the second floor veranda of Woods Hall on a hot day and felt an inexplicable rush of cool air, David Higdon might say you’ve experienced the paranormal. If you’ve ever heard a faint whisper or seen a disappearing shadow while visiting Tuscaloosa’s historic Bama Theatre, Brett J. Talley might also say you’ve experienced the paranormal. While some might be alarmed by these abnormalities, for Higdon and Talley, a frightening chill and eerie creak are just another day at the office.

The paranormal is the business of Higdon and Talley, who have recently released “Haunted Alabama Black Belt,” their second nonfiction book about the supernatural. The book comes as a follow-up to the success of their first book “Haunted Tuscaloosa,” which detailed the multitude of haunted historical locations in and around Tuscaloosa.

Higdon and Talley work in conjunction with the Tuscaloosa Paranormal Research Group to collect the stories for their books.

“As a child I was always fascinated by the book ‘13 Alabama Ghosts and Jeffery’ and hearing ghost stories by friends and family,” Higdon said. “As an adult I noticed there were no other paranormal groups in Tuscaloosa, so I decided to start one of my own.”

“Haunted Alabama Black Belt” chronicles the supernatural stories of one of the most historic regions in Alabama with tales representing every county from Barbour to Choctaw.

“We often say that our books are a haunted history and it’s really true. The history is just as important as the ghosts,” Talley said. “These stories tell us something about our state, about the people who have lived in it and what they went through in the past.”

As a native Southerner and former graduate of The University of Alabama, Talley said the locations explored in “Haunted Alabama Black Belt” are particularly significant. And to both of the book’s authors, the stories they tell hold value far greater than their label as entertaining tall tales or spooky campfire stories.

The authors of “Haunted Alabama Black Belt” will host book signings at Little Professor in Homewood, Ala., on Oct. 19 and Books-a-Million in Montgomery, on Oct. 26.