The University should help better the state of Alabama

In 1913, former UA President G. H. Denny first referred to the University as the Capstone because of the University’s role as the high point of the state’s public education system. The nickname has since evolved into the Capstone Creed that outlines qualities for the ideal student at the University, among which is the call to “foster individual and civic responsibility.” However, 100 years later, the UA student body has severely let down the calling of the Capstone in this regard.

During the past decade our university has been transformed from a regional competitor to a national presence in terms of funding, alumni base and quality of applicants; however, this transformation has had little or no overall effect on the state or even all of Tuscaloosa.

As of fall 2012, 1 in 4 freshmen were enrolled in the Honors College. These students are supposed to represent the ideal student here at the university however, as the Honors College enrollment increased there has been no measurable positive impact on the Tuscaloosa area. Tuscaloosa’s unemployment rate still sits above six percent, its school system is still sub-par and large portions of the town still remain underdeveloped.

The University currently boasts plenty of programs like Al’s Pals, Habitat for Humanity, Honors College Mentoring and the SaveFirst Initiative that all encourage students to give back to the community. However, despite the plethora of programs students can join, very few students actually do. We all would much rather live in our perfect bubble. It is this attitude that has led to our failing of both the Capstone Creed and the state.

The University and the state would both benefit from adopting the institutionalized approach taken at other universities. At other universities, such as the University of Florida and Emory University, honors students must complete community service hours in order to maintain their special designation. Eastern Connecticut University actually requires students to complete four hours of community service hours per semester in order to apply to live in dorms. If our Honors College were to adopt programs such as these, we would see significant improvements in the surrounding community.

The beauty of these approaches to community service is it leads honors students to become invested in their community and their state. This would combat one of the biggest problems facing our state: the brain drain. When the University forces honors students to be invested in their communities, they are going to be significantly more likely to stay and improve these areas.

We are currently in a period of unprecedented success for our university. Almost in sharp contrast, the state of Alabama currently has a high unemployment rate and a bare-bones social service system. The Capstone should retake its role as the high point of the state’s public education system by regaining its purpose to better the state of Alabama.

Will Gonzalez is a sophomore majoring in secondary education. His column runs biweekly.