UA grad appointed to U.S. Homeland Security position

When recalling some of her favorite college memories, Huban Gowadia points to Snickers, Diet Coke and late-night lab write-ups with her friends. Her hard work and diligence paid off, and in 1993 Gowadia graduated from The University of Alabama with a degree in aerospace engineering.

Michael Freeman, a retired UA professor, said he distinctly remembers Gowadia being an excellent student and a brilliant engineer. The two met during Gowadia’s freshman year at the Capstone in 1989 when she began her engineering coursework.

On Sept. 3, close to 25 years later, Gowadia received a presidential appointment to be the director for Domestic Nuclear Detection in the United States Department of Homeland Security.

Freeman said the president chose wisely.

“They made a great choice,” Freeman said. “Huban is extremely brilliant intellectually. She cares about people a lot, she is a loyal citizen of the U.S., and what she’s working on is important.”

After graduating from the Capstone, Gowadia continued her studies at Pennsylvania State University where she earned her doctorate. Gowadia was one of only three people, incidentally all female, from her graduating class at the University to continue on to complete her Ph.D. in engineering.

Prior to her appointment, Gowadia served in various roles at the Domestic Nuclear Detection Office, Transportation Security Administration and the Federal Aviation Administration.

“I would have to say the most impactful and shaping event of my life was Sept. 11,” Gowadia said. “Right then and there learning curves were steepened at an incredible pace. … I realized the words of good mentors at the time, and teammates, because we had to do very difficult things in very short periods of time.”

Gowadia was in Washington, D.C., at the time, as a program manager responsible for airport checkpoints.

“There was a tremendous spirit to take care of our nation,” she said. “It helped me realize that if I was going to be professionally satisfied, service to a bigger cause was going to be important.”

After 9/11, Gowadia continued to serve her country and began working for the Department of Homeland Security shortly after its inception.

Upon learning of her recent appointment, Gowadia said she was thrilled to have the opportunity. She said she wanted to reach out to friends, family and mentors to tell them thank you.

“I felt incredibly indebted to a lot of people,” she said.

Michael Freeman learned of her appointment shortly after its announcement.

“She is a very honorable, honest individual,” Freeman said. “I am really proud to have her be one of our alumnus.”