Concert to feature new, familiar pieces

The halls of Moody Music Building will be flooded with the Alabama symphonic and concert bands’ perfected and polished pieces Monday night as they put on their first concert of the semester.

“Exciting trills of the woodwinds, vibrant fanfare from the brass, antiphonal trumpets, sounds of the boisterous organ and rhythmic patterns of the percussion are just a few of the sounds that will resonate from the concert hall of Moody Music Building on Monday night,” Danielle Todd, a graduate conductor for the concert band and trumpet player for the symphonic band, said.

Both the symphonic band and concert band are composed of both music and non-music majors who underwent a competitive blind audition in order to participate. The upcoming concert is not only an opportunity for students to enjoy a performance put on by their peers, but a chance to highlight the musical talents of several UA students.

“The concert will showcase the talents of many students from various backgrounds, ages, majors and experience, as well as highlight musical selections that are vibrant, aggressive, soulful and fun,” Todd said.

With their performance, the two bands seek to engage people of all musical preferences, from contemporary pop to rock to classical, while simultaneously dispelling the connotation associated with symphonic and concert bands.

“When people hear the terms ‘symphonic band’ and ‘concert band,’ they automatically think of older, classical music,” Randall Coleman, associate director of bands and conductor of the symphonic and concert bands, said. “This presents a challenge since most college students prefer to listen to new songs on the radio. However, I think our program successfully encompasses many different musical tastes by providing fast-paced, contemporary music that’s easy to listen to.”

Similarly, Todd said the symphonic bands and concert bands are much more relatable than most people realize. They are not limited to older music, and students will be surprised to find that many of the pieces in the concert will be familiar to them.

“This concert will provide sounds that are familiar and recognizable, as well as some that are new and different,” Todd said.

The overarching goal of the concert is to promote the Alabama symphonic band and Alabama concert band, and by extension the music program as a whole. The concert allows the bands an outlet for their hard work, and ticket sales will benefit the music program.

“We’ve worked hard to present a quality program, and we won’t disappoint,” Christopher Henley, a freshman majoring in organ performance and a “guest member” of the symphonic band, said.

The concert will be held Monday at 7:30 p.m. in the concert hall of Moody Music Building. Tickets for the event are $10 for general admission, $5 for senior citizens, and $3 for students and can be purchased at uamusic.tix.com.