Choose yoga for exercise, peace, well-being

When choosing an exercise, students should not exclude the beneficial, age-old activity of yoga. Many people, especially men, are under the impression that because yoga is not a calorie-burning form of exercise, it is not even worth considering. If you are one of these people, there are several facts you should consider.

We often find ourselves striving for some sense of fulfillment that always seems just out of reach; we yearn to feel tranquility, joy and true contentment with oneself. The ancient exercise of yoga, which is often pushed aside, is a way these desired feelings can be found. For many, yoga is considered a way of life. The ultimate goal is to achieve enlightenment and transcend self – “a healthy mind in a healthy body.”

We as humans are physical, mental and spiritual beings. In terms of achieving complete well-being, we need to find a balance between those three dimensions within ourselves, a balance that can be found through exercise of various body postures.

Yoga is much more than just stretching. It can be done almost anywhere with minimal, or even no, equipment. This particular exercise is beneficial in your everyday life in that it keeps both your body and mind healthy. It can enhance self-awareness, promote healing and reduce blood pressure, stress, anxiety and depression.

It can also provide energy and recharge both your body and mind, allowing you to release the negativity and stress that build up from day to day. Yoga encourages you to look within yourself to find serenity and joy, allowing you to rely on yourself rather than outside influences to find happiness. This promotes the confidence and empowerment that many people are desperate to find.

For those of you who still believe yoga is a waste of time, here are some facts that may sway your belief. Yoga can increase flexibility and strength. This is important for those of us who partake in continuous medium or high intensity exercise (i.e. running). Most exercise can lead to soreness, tightness in muscles and even lower back pain. Yoga can help with that. Building flexibility and increasing strength in your body through yoga has proven to show immense benefits in regular exercisers, as well as in those of us who may not exercise on a regular basis. It can also boost your stamina and overall strength. So, if you think about it, there is really no downside to participating in this simple exercise.

I especially love yoga because it is a way of slowing down the constant dance of thoughts and stresses going through my mind. Life can get hard and overwhelming and yoga is a place where that can all be let go. Yoga promotes empowerment, self-confidence and positivity, while also strengthening the body.

Next time you are considering which exercise to do, do not write off yoga, because the mental and physical benefits that accompany yoga can change your life. Be sure to check out the yoga class schedule offered at the UA Rec Center.