Bicycle Advocacy Coalition hosts Halloween bike ride

It isn’t too often that a troop of witches, skeletons and characters of all kinds can be seen biking around the streets of Tuscaloosa, but this Friday, that might change.

The Bicycle Advocacy Coalition, a group on campus that is working to become officially registered with the university and seeks to promote bike safety, is hosting a Halloween bike ride this Friday, October 30, at 6:30 p.m. Costumes aren’t required, but are encouraged to keep with the spirit.

Christine Bassett, a masters student studying Geology, has created the event to help spread the word about the new advocacy group, and to gather with friends, bicyclists and bike rookies alike to celebrate Halloween in a new and different way.

“The whole point is to put on your costume and ride around town and have a good time,” Bassett said.

While the ride is certainly welcoming to bicyclists of all levels of experience, it is meant to be fun-focused. More experienced bicyclists will lead the way so no one gets left behind. The route is laid out to be easy for anyone, but there is also a shorter alternative route as well.

“One of the things I’ve tried to emphasize is it’s meant to be a fun ride not a go-as-fast-as-you-can ride,” Bassett said. “The ride is pretty flat with only one incline. We are trying to accommodate a wide variety of riding experience.”

Bicyclists participating in the event will meet at Grace Aberdean Habitat Alchemy in downtown Tuscaloosa at 6:30 p.m.. After riding through downtown, down the River Walk, through the University of Alabama campus, and back to downtown, the 7-mile ride will conclude at Loosa Brews.

While bike safety is a hot topic after reports of injuries on campus, students joined together to create the Bicycle Advocacy Coalition to promote bike safety and raise awareness for bicyclists on campus. Bassett hopes this event will help get the word out about the new organization and promote bike safety at the same time.

“I created the event and invited people to get involved to make our presence known,” Bassett said. “If you have any interest in helping promote cycling around, it helps raise awareness for the biking community in town.”

Those interested in participating are encouraged to dress up, decorate their bikes and bring bike lights in preparation for the sunset around 6 p.m. 

The event begins at 6:30 p.m. If you are interested in getting involved with the ride, the organization has asked that everyone RSVP to this Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/1142231122472146/1146801445348447/. So if you’re planning on staying in town for fall break, consider getting outdoors and starting to celebrate Halloween a day early with this spooky and sporty event.